Mailing List Archive

Re: Improving xen-qemu-dm-4.0 dependencies
On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 19:31 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Obviously, I know I would need the keymaps folder (from the qemu-keymaps
> package).

I think so.

> I can second guess that I would need both vgabios and others. May
> someone give me an exhaustive and exact list, so that I don't do any
> mistake in fixing Debian bug #607490 ?

The vgabios and rombios used by Xen are not the same as the ones
used/provided by qemu. I think you need to use the stuff from
tools/firmware/{vga,rom}bios in the Xen source not anything provided by
qemu.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Ramesses - Iron Crow

Everybody is going somewhere!! It's probably a garage sale or a
disaster Movie!!

Re: Improving xen-qemu-dm-4.0 dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 03/16/2011 08:18 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> I can second guess that I would need both vgabios and others. May
>> someone give me an exhaustive and exact list, so that I don't do any
>> mistake in fixing Debian bug #607490 ?
>
> The vgabios and rombios used by Xen are not the same as the ones
> used/provided by qemu. I think you need to use the stuff from
> tools/firmware/{vga,rom}bios in the Xen source not anything provided by
> qemu.
>
> Ian.

Outch. Then I did a mistake, and currently in Squeeze, Xen qemu-dm is
using the files from the "normal" qemu. I'll repair it right away in
SID, and will try to have it uploaded to proposed-updates.

But what about the other files? I am 100% sure that xen qemu-dm needs at
least few network card BIOS files.

Thomas

Re: Improving xen-qemu-dm-4.0 dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 03/16/2011 08:18 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> The vgabios and rombios used by Xen are not the same as the ones
> used/provided by qemu. I think you need to use the stuff from
> tools/firmware/{vga,rom}bios in the Xen source not anything provided by
> qemu.
>
> Ian.

Now, the issue is these are in the source package of the hypervisor, not
in the Git of xen-qemu-dm. Would you consider moving them to it? Or
would you advise me to simply copy the tools/firmware/{vga,rom}bios
folder into my source package and live with it like that?

Or maybe, we should create a new "xen-qemu-roms" binaries out of the Xen
hypervisor package? Bastian, if I give you a patch against your package
to add a xen-qemu-roms binary, would you accept it?

Thomas

Re: Re: Improving xen-qemu-dm-4.0 dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 12:54 +0000, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 03/16/2011 08:18 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >> I can second guess that I would need both vgabios and others. May
> >> someone give me an exhaustive and exact list, so that I don't do any
> >> mistake in fixing Debian bug #607490 ?
> >
> > The vgabios and rombios used by Xen are not the same as the ones
> > used/provided by qemu. I think you need to use the stuff from
> > tools/firmware/{vga,rom}bios in the Xen source not anything provided by
> > qemu.
> >
> > Ian.
>
> Outch. Then I did a mistake, and currently in Squeeze, Xen qemu-dm is
> using the files from the "normal" qemu. I'll repair it right away in
> SID, and will try to have it uploaded to proposed-updates.
>
> But what about the other files? I am 100% sure that xen qemu-dm needs at
> least few network card BIOS files.

I think you probably need the output of xen's tols/firmware/etherboot,
or at least that's whant Xen upstream tests with...

--
Ian Campbell

A copy of the universe is not what is required of art; one of the damned
things is ample.
-- Rebecca West

Re: Re: Improving xen-qemu-dm-4.0 dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 03/16/2011 09:05 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> I think you probably need the output of xen's tols/firmware/etherboot,
> or at least that's whant Xen upstream tests with...

Which currently isn't even built by the xen-4.0.1 Debian src package.

Thomas