I want to use Xen as virtual machine under Debian Linux. My question to you
is, in what space of time can be expected with a transferring of Xen Dom0
into the current kernel?
And why do not you develop Xen simultaneous in the actual versions of Kernel?
I think the support of kernel 2.6.18 is very obsolete?

Can you give us a date on which we can be expected improvement?

Thank you,

Andreas

Re: When is Dom0 coming into current kernel? [ In reply to ]
It should be done in the next month or so, well in time for Xen 3.4.

-- Keir

Re: When is Dom0 coming into current kernel? [ In reply to ]
Thank you Keir,

that makes me hope to continue to use Xen. Because there are good features in
the software. And the principle of Dom0 and DomU is also unique.

Bye

Re: When is Dom0 coming into current kernel? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 10:17:35AM +0200, Andreas Günther wrote:
> Thank you Keir,
>
> that makes me hope to continue to use Xen. Because there are good features in
> the software. And the principle of Dom0 and DomU is also unique.

Yes, getting dom0 support into mainline kernel is really important.

Maybe Jeremy can comment on the progress..

Current (dom0) pv_ops patch queue should be here:
http://xenbits.xen.org/paravirt_ops/patches.hg/

Also: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-686

Debian now has 2.6.26 kernel with xen dom0 support included. It's based on
xensource xenlinux 2.6.18 forward-ported patches by Novell/Suse.

-- Pasi

Re: When is Dom0 coming into current kernel? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 05:52:42PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 10:17:35AM +0200, Andreas Günther wrote:
> > Thank you Keir,
> >
> > that makes me hope to continue to use Xen. Because there are good features in
> > the software. And the principle of Dom0 and DomU is also unique.
> >

> Yes, getting dom0 support into mainline kernel is really important.
>
> Maybe Jeremy can comment on the progress..
>
> Current (dom0) pv_ops patch queue should be here:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/paravirt_ops/patches.hg/
>
> Also: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-686
>
> Debian now has 2.6.26 kernel with xen dom0 support included. It's based on
> xensource xenlinux 2.6.18 forward-ported patches by Novell/Suse.

Whoops, correct url is this:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-686
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/linux-2.6_2.6.26-7/changelog

"* [xen] Add SuSE Xen patch. (closes: #495895)"

-- Pasi

Re: When is Dom0 coming into current kernel? [ In reply to ]
That's well:
> Maybe Jeremy can comment on the progress..
>
> Current (dom0) pv_ops patch queue should be here:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/paravirt_ops/patches.hg/

That I knew not yet. But this package is known.
> Also: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-686
My problem is I no longer use 32bit cpu's, but 64bit cpu's. So I can not
install linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-686.

> Debian now has 2.6.26 kernel with xen dom0 support included. It's based on
> xensource xenlinux 2.6.18 forward-ported patches by Novell/Suse.
I've heard. But I do not know how I use the patches from Suse in Debian.

But it's good to hear that the dom0 support in the near future will be
introduced in the main kernel.

So thank you for your information Pasi,

bye

Andreas

Re: When is Dom0 coming into current kernel? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 06:00:10PM +0200, Andreas Günther wrote:
> That's well:
> > Maybe Jeremy can comment on the progress..
> >
> > Current (dom0) pv_ops patch queue should be here:
> > http://xenbits.xen.org/paravirt_ops/patches.hg/
> >
> That I knew not yet. But this package is known.
> > Also: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-686
> My problem is I no longer use 32bit cpu's, but 64bit cpu's. So I can not
> install linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-686.

Actually you should be able to run 32bit (PAE) dom0 with 64bit xen
hypervisor! DomU's can be both 32bit (PAE) and 64bit, not depending on dom0 used.

You need to have new enough Xen hypervisor to support "32-on-64".

-- Pasi

Re: When is Dom0 coming into current kernel? [ In reply to ]
Okay, let me first digest. I must first understand. I'm still learning about
Xen.

Bye

Andreas

Re: When is Dom0 coming into current kernel? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 06:53:51PM +0200, Andreas Günther wrote:
> Okay, let me first digest. I must first understand. I'm still learning about
> Xen.

Please don't top post.. :)

I think 32-on-64 feature was first introduced in Xen 3.1.

RHEL 5.2 (and CentOS 5.2) has 32-on-64 as a 'technology preview'. Xen
hypervisor on RHEL5.2/CentOS5.2 is 3.1.2+patches.

So I think Xen 3.2.x and Xen 3.3.x should both be able to run 32-on-64.

Citrix Xenserver 5 (commercial product) uses 32bit dom0 on 64bit Xen
hypervisor:

http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=236592&tstart=0

-- Pasi