Mailing List Archive

[Xen-merge] Need guidance on moving Xenlinux/ia64 changes to 2.6.15
I'd like to get the Xenlinux/ia64 changes and tree up from 2.6.12
to 2.6.15 and would like timing/planning guidance on how best
to do this. There are a handful of changed files and a couple
of handfuls of xen files. There is also some buildtime scripting
to move files around that Xenlinux/x86 uses and Xenlinux/ia64 doesn't,
or drop files from driver Makefiles (e.g. netback) that aren't yet
working on Xenlinux/ia64 (c.f. sparse/arch/ia64/xen-mkbuildtree-pre)

Questions:
1) What is the difference between linux-2.6-merge.hg and
linux-2.6-xen.hg and which should I be using?
2) Should I merge into one of the linux-2.6-*.hg trees
or wait until the linux-2.6-*.hg tree gets pulled into
xen-unstable.hg/linux-2.6-sparse?
3) If merging into linux-2.6-*.hg, I'm thinking rather than
send a big patch that will require someone to do a bunch
of "hg add"s, I would just provide an ftp'able tgz file
of the updated hg tree that could be ftp'd and merged.
Will that work, or is there a better way?

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. In the spirit of Christian's recent list, here's the
list of all the files that change for Xenlinux/ia64. Note
that as we switch to VP/P2M, this list will (sadly) grow.

======================
Xen/ia64 changed files
======================

Xen/ia64 config:
Files: arch/ia64/Kconfig
Files: arch/ia64/Makefile
Descr: enable Xen hypervisor support

ia64 assembly routine hooks:
Files: arch/ia64/kernel/entry.S
Files: arch/ia64/kernel/pal.S
Descr: add indirection to allow for hooks in assembly routines with
privilege-sensitive instructions and performance critical
privileged
instructions

ia64 startup
Files: arch/ia64/kernel/head.S
Files: arch/ia64/kernel/setup.c
Descr: early hooks for Xen-specific setup

ia64 privileged instruction macro hooks:
Files: include/asm-ia64/{gcc,intel}_intrin.h
include/asm-ia64/pal.h
include/asm-ia64/processor.h
Descr:

ia64 "flags" simplification
Files: include/asm-ia64/system.h
include/asm-ia64/processor.h
Descr: flags need only use psr.i bit not entire psr; saving/restoring
entire psr is very expensive to paravirtualize

RE: [Xen-merge] Need guidance on moving Xenlinux/ia64 changes to 2.6.15 [ In reply to ]
> I'd like to get the Xenlinux/ia64 changes and tree up from
> 2.6.12 to 2.6.15 and would like timing/planning guidance on
> how best to do this. There are a handful of changed files
> and a couple of handfuls of xen files. There is also some
> buildtime scripting to move files around that Xenlinux/x86
> uses and Xenlinux/ia64 doesn't, or drop files from driver
> Makefiles (e.g. netback) that aren't yet working on
> Xenlinux/ia64 (c.f. sparse/arch/ia64/xen-mkbuildtree-pre)
>
> Questions:
> 1) What is the difference between linux-2.6-merge.hg and
> linux-2.6-xen.hg and which should I be using?

-merge is close to Linus kernel.org tip, -xen is based on latest stable
(2.6.15)

> 2) Should I merge into one of the linux-2.6-*.hg trees
> or wait until the linux-2.6-*.hg tree gets pulled into
> xen-unstable.hg/linux-2.6-sparse?

A patch against linux-2.6-xen.hg is probably best.

> 3) If merging into linux-2.6-*.hg, I'm thinking rather than
> send a big patch that will require someone to do a bunch
> of "hg add"s, I would just provide an ftp'able tgz file
> of the updated hg tree that could be ftp'd and merged.
> Will that work, or is there a better way?

I think I'd still prefer the big patch and a reminder to do hg status.

Thanks,
Ian

RE: [Xen-merge] Need guidance on moving Xenlinux/ia64 changes to 2.6.15 [ In reply to ]
Include Tony and the IA-64 mailing list.

Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:
> I'd like to get the Xenlinux/ia64 changes and tree up from 2.6.12
> to 2.6.15 and would like timing/planning guidance on how best
> to do this. There are a handful of changed files and a couple
> of handfuls of xen files. There is also some buildtime scripting
> to move files around that Xenlinux/x86 uses and Xenlinux/ia64 doesn't,
> or drop files from driver Makefiles (e.g. netback) that aren't yet
> working on Xenlinux/ia64 (c.f. sparse/arch/ia64/xen-mkbuildtree-pre)
>
> Questions:
> 1) What is the difference between linux-2.6-merge.hg and
> linux-2.6-xen.hg and which should I be using?
> 2) Should I merge into one of the linux-2.6-*.hg trees
> or wait until the linux-2.6-*.hg tree gets pulled into
> xen-unstable.hg/linux-2.6-sparse?
> 3) If merging into linux-2.6-*.hg, I'm thinking rather than
> send a big patch that will require someone to do a bunch
> of "hg add"s, I would just provide an ftp'able tgz file
> of the updated hg tree that could be ftp'd and merged.
> Will that work, or is there a better way?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> P.S. In the spirit of Christian's recent list, here's the
> list of all the files that change for Xenlinux/ia64. Note
> that as we switch to VP/P2M, this list will (sadly) grow.

Dan,

The size of the changes does not matter. As we discussed at Xen Summit,
Tony is happy to take para-virutalization code consistent with x86
XenLinux (such as event handling, SMP support, etc.). We found so many
things missing in IA-64 Xenlinux today.

> ======================
> Xen/ia64 changed files
> ======================
>
> Xen/ia64 config:
> Files: arch/ia64/Kconfig
> Files: arch/ia64/Makefile
> Descr: enable Xen hypervisor support
>
> ia64 assembly routine hooks:
> Files: arch/ia64/kernel/entry.S
> Files: arch/ia64/kernel/pal.S
> Descr: add indirection to allow for hooks in assembly routines
with
> privilege-sensitive instructions and performance critical
> privileged
> instructions
>
> ia64 startup
> Files: arch/ia64/kernel/head.S
> Files: arch/ia64/kernel/setup.c
> Descr: early hooks for Xen-specific setup
>
> ia64 privileged instruction macro hooks:
> Files: include/asm-ia64/{gcc,intel}_intrin.h
> include/asm-ia64/pal.h
> include/asm-ia64/processor.h
> Descr:
>
> ia64 "flags" simplification
> Files: include/asm-ia64/system.h
> include/asm-ia64/processor.h
> Descr: flags need only use psr.i bit not entire psr;
saving/restoring
> entire psr is very expensive to paravirtualize

Jun
---
Intel Open Source Technology Center