Mailing List Archive

Para-virtualized linux kernel release for the Tegra2 harmony board.
Samsung Enterprise Portal mySingle

We have release a reference code for a para-virtualized linux kernel.

You will find it on "git://xenbits.xen.org/people/jm77ryu/linux-xen.git"

In case of xen-arm source, please visit to "git://xenbits.xen.org/people/jm77ryu/xen-arm.git"

- Build Instructions: -

1. extract root filesytem contents as following(This requires the root privilege)
sudo tar -xvpf rootfs_dom0.tar.bz2

2. cp config_dom0 .config

3. make ARCH=arm

** Turn on target board, and download the xen-arm image(xen) and the kernel image(vmlinux.out0).
** download addresse is :
***** xen-arm : 0x8000
***** guest kernel images : 0x1e800000

- booting domu -

** To boot domu (the rootfilesystem of dom0 already has prebuilt domu kernel images, see images directory.)
# smd start <- start lightweight
# vm create /etc/xen/dom1
# xenconsole 1 <= This command switch console to dom 1.

* For domu build, use config_domu configuration file.
* Don't forget to copy the vmlinux.out1 to rootfs_dom0/images directory after domu kernel build.
Re: Para-virtualized linux kernel release for the Tegra2 harmony board. [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Thank you for hassle free instructions.

I'll give it a shot.

Cheers,

2012/2/8 Jae-Min Ryu <jm77.ryu@samsung.com>

> We have release a reference code for a para-virtualized linux kernel.
>

> You will find it on "git://xenbits.xen.org/people/jm77ryu/linux-xen.git"
>
> In case of xen-arm source, please visit to "git://
> xenbits.xen.org/people/jm77ryu/xen-arm.git"
>

> - Build Instructions: -
>
> 1. extract root filesytem contents as following(This requires the root
> privilege)
> sudo tar -xvpf rootfs_dom0.tar.bz2
>
> 2. cp config_dom0 .config
>
> 3. make ARCH=arm
>
> ** Turn on target board, and download the xen-arm image(xen) and the
> kernel image(vmlinux.out0).
> ** download addresse is :
> ***** xen-arm : 0x8000
> ***** guest kernel images : 0x1e800000
>
> - booting domu -
>
> ** To boot domu (the rootfilesystem of dom0 already has prebuilt domu
> kernel images, see images directory.)
> # smd start <- start lightweight
> # vm create /etc/xen/dom1
> # xenconsole 1 <= This command switch console to dom 1.
>
> * For domu build, use config_domu configuration file.
> * Don't forget to copy the vmlinux.out1 to rootfs_dom0/images directory
> after domu kernel build.

=
Dongsoo Nathaniel Kim
Linux kernel, media device S/W engineer / Ph.D Student
Dept. of Computer Science, KAIST
Real-time & Embedded Systems Lab.
Re: Para-virtualized linux kernel release for the Tegra2 harmony board. [ In reply to ]
Hi Xen-ARM,

I have got the ParaVirtualised Linux Kernel.
I have made using ARCH=arm and with specific configs.
Now that, I don't have a Tegra2 Harmony Board, but interested in Xen on
Tegra 2 Board with Cortex-A9 arch.

How can I use it on qemu-system-arm?

vmlinux(.out0) is available from the make in the paravirtualized kernel
source.
vmlinux.out1 is available in the rootfs_dom0 in the images directory.

But, If it is to be run on qemu-system-arm, then rootfs has to be in .img
or .img.gz format [ i think ].

Is there any other way to run this on qemu-system-arm?

Will it be possible / Was it done before?

Please Suggest!

--
✉ Regards :: Krishna Pavan ✍
Re: Para-virtualized linux kernel release for the Tegra2 harmony board. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I have a experience to run xen and dom0 on QEMU.

In my case, I patched qemu sources to load two elf object, Xen and dom0 linux. I didn’t use rootfs.

Re: Para-virtualized linux kernel release for the Tegra2 harmony board. [ In reply to ]
Hi Xen-ARM,

I only have xen.bin, and vmlinux {uncompressed kernel} [46.7 MB] in the
para virtualised linux source code directory, made for arm.
I am thinking how, I should do that with just these both, on
qemu-system-arm.

rootfs contains domU, then we need the rootfs also.

vmlinux is a different format, as shown here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vmlinux
I know how to work ONLY with zImage on qemu.

Do you have any idea?

After many hours of googling, I could find some what explanation here

Link to External Site ::
http://mmmyddd.freeshell.net/wiki/embed/linuxonarmonqemu.html

Please Kindly Suggest!
--
✉ Regards :: Krishna Pavan ✍
Re: Para-virtualized linux kernel release for the Tegra2 harmony board. [ In reply to ]
>> I only have xen.bin, and vmlinux {uncompressed kernel} [46.7 MB] in the para virtualised linux source code directory, made for arm.
>> I am thinking how, I should do that with just these both, on qemu-system-arm.
>>
>> rootfs contains domU, then we need the rootfs also.
>>
>> vmlinux is a different format, as shown here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vmlinux
>> I know how to work ONLY with zImage on qemu.
>>
>> Do you have any idea?

What about referencing android-emulator-xen to extend your qemu-system-arm to support ELF format?
It has ability to handle elf-type images for guest O/S.

Re: Para-virtualized linux kernel release for the Tegra2 harmony board. [ In reply to ]
Hi Xen-ARM, Jae Min Ryu,
Thank You for the reply.

What about referencing android-emulator-xen to extend your qemu-system-arm
to support ELF format?
It has ability to handle elf-type images for guest O/S.

That android_emulator_for_xen-arm ended up with a gdb error.
I am unlucky to work on a X86_64 PC.

That particular emulator requires a X86_32 PC.
I have that code, compiled and it took me two working days to find out what
went wrong with it.

Later on I figured out that, it is the error.

*Error_log *is some thing like,
guest0 - mini-os.elf
guest1 - mini-os.elf
Waiting gdb connection on port 1234
./run.sh: line 1: 10113 Segmentation fault ./emulator -guest0
0x01c00000 mini-os.elf -guest1 0x02c00000 mini-os.elf -show-kernel -system
./images -shell -qemu -s
I tried this with the mini-os guests running.
--
✉ Regards :: Krishna Pavan ✍
Re: Para-virtualized linux kernel release for the Tegra2 harmony board. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Following are some of the instructions given by Jae-Min-Ryu.
However, you need to find and place proper links with in the linux-xen
source code.

There have been some issues with the mode bits for some files in the
linux-xen source code.

Hope, these issues, which I have found [.others have found many and you may
probably need to check previous threads], when I worked on those particular
source codes, will help you.

It would be better to post a new mail, if it's not found in google search,
rather than top-posting, as it may disturb the flow, if some one browses
the lists next time.

Regards :: Krishna Pavan

--
✉ Regards :: Krishna Pavan ✍