not sure if that is used on xapi?

Many thanks,

Chris
Re: Good resource for learning ocaml? [ In reply to ]
> I would like to learn just enough ocaml to be able to navigate and understand the xapi code.
> Do you have any recommendations for getting started with ocaml? There are some books available but I'm not sure how relevant they are, for example, the O'Reilly one seems to be based on the Jane Street core library, so I'm not sure if that is used on xapi?
> Many thanks,
> Chris

Hi Chris,

You are correct, Core is not used in the xapi codebase at the moment (although don't let that stop you from becoming familiar with Core once you've learnt the basic language).

As a starting point I'd recommend the INRIA documentation [1] followed by Unix system programming in OCaml [2], the latter being very relevant to the lower-level parts of xapi.

John

[1] http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml-4.01/
[2] http://ocamlunix.forge.ocamlcore.org/

Re: Good resource for learning ocaml? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM, John Else <john.else@citrix.com> wrote:
>> I would like to learn just enough ocaml to be able to navigate and understand the xapi code.
>> Do you have any recommendations for getting started with ocaml? There are some books available but I'm not sure how relevant they are, for example, the O'Reilly one seems to be based on the Jane Street core library, so I'm not sure if that is used on xapi?
>> Many thanks,
>> Chris
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> You are correct, Core is not used in the xapi codebase at the moment (although don't let that stop you from becoming familiar with Core once you've learnt the basic language).
>
> As a starting point I'd recommend the INRIA documentation [1] followed by Unix system programming in OCaml [2], the latter being very relevant to the lower-level parts of xapi.
>
> John
>
> [1] http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml-4.01/
> [2] http://ocamlunix.forge.ocamlcore.org/

Hi John, great information - thank you!