Mailing List Archive

Prepping for GSOC 2014 [URGENT] - deadline Feb 14 2014
Hi all,

the GSoC application deadline is coming up : Feb 2014. If we want to
have any chance of getting accepted this year, we ought to get our
project list into good shape. The project list and how the project and
menters present themselves has a bigger impact on whether we get
accepted than the actual application.

Also, I would like to add a mentor section this year: a short bio, what
the mentor cares about and a picture. This will help make the project
list more real.

We have *4 weeks* to do this. The bar for GSoC has been getting
increasingly high. I know, we are tied down with Xen 4.4, but this is
something you need to do if you want the Xen Project to participate.

a) Please, update
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projects urgently (these
need to be in good shape *before* the application). What I need you to
do is:
a.1) Remove items that are done
a.2) Add new work items : we ought to have a few sexy topics on say
Real-time, mobile and some of the other segments (assuming we can get HW)
a.3) All project proposals need to be peer reviewed *and* clear ... The
peer review process for projects we put in place last year worked well,
by which we had past mentors sign of project proposals that were in good
enough state.

b) Anyone who has some kernel/linux/bsd/distro/qemu work-items, should
get these listed on the respective other programs. And we should link to
these from our project page.

Best Regards
Lars
P.S.: I will also see whether we can participate as Xen Project under
the LF GSoC program, but last year there was push-back and I don't
expect this to change

Re: Prepping for GSOC 2014 [URGENT] - deadline Feb 14 2014 [ In reply to ]
Hi all,
I have not gotten any reply to this thread. I saw Wei Lui and Andrés
Lagar-Cavilla make changes to the project list. Please go through the
items below and make changes as suggested. Otherwise, our chances to get
into GSoC 2014 will be relatively slim.
Lars

Re: [Xen-devel] Prepping for GSOC 2014 [URGENT] - deadline Feb 14 2014 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 13:54 +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have not gotten any reply to this thread. I saw Wei Lui and Andrés
> Lagar-Cavilla make changes to the project list. Please go through the
> items below and make changes as suggested. Otherwise, our chances to get
> into GSoC 2014 will be relatively slim.

Going through the list, people listed as technical contacts for projects
with GSoC == yes (or unknown) are in the To line. Please reiterate your
interest in mentoring the project(s) and update or remove the entry as
necessary.

I skipped things added recently and I skipped "Xen Cloud Platform (XCP)
and XAPI projects", someone else can pick that up.

And to reiterate what Lars said:

> Add new work items : we ought to have a few sexy topics on say
> Real-time, mobile and some of the other segments (assuming we can get
> HW)
[...]
> b) Anyone who has some kernel/linux/bsd/distro/qemu work-items, should
> get these listed on the respective other programs. And we should link
> to these from our project page.

The list:

Pasi:
* Implement Xen PVSCSI support in xl/libxl toolstack
* Implement Xen PVUSB support in xl/libxl toolstack

Both have unanswered questions posed by Lars in January 2013.

Konrad:
* Block backend/frontend improvements

I suspect a bunch of these are done? (Also CC Roger, who may
have done them...)

Was in the list twice, they looked identical so I nuked one.

* Utilize Intel QuickPath on network and block path.

No comments etc, but sounds advanced for a GSoC student, plus
its unclear when such hardware became available, are they likely
to have it? It sounds like it might also be quite high end.

* perf working with Xen

Done/in progress by Boris I think

* PAT writecombine fixup

Did I see a fix for this go past? GSoC == unknown?

* Parallel xenwatch

Bit sparse on details, GSOC == unknown

* Microcode uploader implementation

Done I think?

* Integrating NUMA and Tmem

Lists Dan as co-maintainer -- Konrad do you want to propose this
to the new tmem guy (I've forgotten his name)

* Performance tools overhaul

Bit vague. And has some of this been done?

* "Upstream bugs"

There were 4 of these, dating back to 2012, I don't think this
list is a good place to track bugs and it seems like at least
some of them are now obsolete. So I've nuked the lot. If they
are still relevant I think it would be best to get them into the
bug tracker.

Ben:
* dom0 kgdb support

Is this for GSoC?

George:

* Introducing PowerClamp-like driver for Xen

I don't think this has been done?

Dario:
* NUMA effects on inter-VM communication and on multi-VM workloads

I think this was under way as part of the GNOME Outreach
program. In that case perhaps it needs updating to reflect what
has been done and what still needs to be done?

* Integrating NUMA and Tmem

Lists Dan as co-maintainer -- covered under Konrad's name above.

* Is Xen ready for the Real-Time/Embedded World?

Sounds a bit blue sky? Now that there is active interest in this
on ARM perhaps a few concrete projects could be proposed to
replace it?

Andy:

* IOMMU control for SWIOTLB, to avoid dom0 copy of all >4K DMA
allocations

Sounds too hard for a GSoC to me. Would need fleshing out in any
case.

* CPU/RAM/PCI diagram tool

Does this not already exist somewhere?

Paul:

* HVM per-event-channel interrupts

Might be easier now that Windows PV drivers are opened up?

Roger:
* Refactor Linux hotplug scripts

You did some of this I think?

Ian C:

* XL to XCP VM motion

Perhaps this could be broadened into VM transport between XL and
other things too -- e.g. libvirt?

Stefano:

* VM Snapshots

Still a good project I think

George:

* Allowing guests to boot with a passed-through GPU as the primary
display

This seems like a bit of a rathole for a GSoC student to me...

* Advanced Scheduling Parameters

Still to do?

Santosh:

* KDD (Windows Debugger Stub) enhancements

Dave

* Create a tiny VM for easy load testing

Someone was looking at this I think?

Ian J:

* Testing PV and HVM installs of Debian using debian-installer
* Testing NetBSD

BSD is done I think, and I'm looking at Debian Installer stuff
myself. I've removed these.

Phew!
Ian.

Re: [Xen-devel] Prepping for GSOC 2014 [URGENT] - deadline Feb 14 2014 [ In reply to ]
On 05/02/14 14:09, Ian Campbell wrote:

> Andy:
>
> * IOMMU control for SWIOTLB, to avoid dom0 copy of all >4K DMA
> allocations
>
> Sounds too hard for a GSoC to me. Would need fleshing out in any
> case.

Malcolm made a prototype for this on the first day of the Hackathon. It
can disappear.

> * CPU/RAM/PCI diagram tool
>
> Does this not already exist somewhere?

Not as far as I (or my ability to google) am aware.

My furrowing into hwloc interacting with Xen and libxc is a start to all
of this, but it is still very much in my copious free time and there is
more than enough other work which could be done if someone were interested.

~Andrew

Re: [Xen-devel] Prepping for GSOC 2014 [URGENT] - deadline Feb 14 2014 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 14:40 +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 05/02/14 14:09, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >
> > Andy:
> >
> > * IOMMU control for SWIOTLB, to avoid dom0 copy of all >4K DMA
> > allocations
> >
> > Sounds too hard for a GSoC to me. Would need fleshing out in any
> > case.
>
> Malcolm made a prototype for this on the first day of the Hackathon. It
> can disappear.

Removed.

> > * CPU/RAM/PCI diagram tool
> >
> > Does this not already exist somewhere?
>
> Not as far as I (or my ability to google) am aware.
>
> My furrowing into hwloc interacting with Xen and libxc is a start to all
> of this, but it is still very much in my copious free time and there is
> more than enough other work which could be done if someone were interested.

OK, left in place.

This could conceivably be done under another umbrella such as the Linux
one too, since it seems generic.

Ian.

Re: [Xen-devel] Prepping for GSOC 2014 [URGENT] - deadline Feb 14 2014 [ In reply to ]
On 05/02/14 14:45, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 14:40 +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:
>> On 05/02/14 14:09, Ian Campbell wrote:
>>> Andy:
>>>
>>> * IOMMU control for SWIOTLB, to avoid dom0 copy of all >4K DMA
>>> allocations
>>>
>>> Sounds too hard for a GSoC to me. Would need fleshing out in any
>>> case.
>> Malcolm made a prototype for this on the first day of the Hackathon. It
>> can disappear.
> Removed.
>
>>> * CPU/RAM/PCI diagram tool
>>>
>>> Does this not already exist somewhere?
>> Not as far as I (or my ability to google) am aware.
>>
>> My furrowing into hwloc interacting with Xen and libxc is a start to all
>> of this, but it is still very much in my copious free time and there is
>> more than enough other work which could be done if someone were interested.
> OK, left in place.
>
> This could conceivably be done under another umbrella such as the Linux
> one too, since it seems generic.
>
> Ian.

For native Linux, hwloc kinda already does this already - certainly the
CPU and PCI bits. Under Xen there are quite a few areas needing
improvement, which will require active development work.

~Andrew

Re: [MirageOS-devel] Prepping for GSOC 2014 [URGENT] - deadline Feb 14 2014 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I did a tidy-up of the Mirage/XAPI projects at the bottom. I've deleted
some old projects after speaking with their technical contacts (in
particular Jon Ludlam and Jonathan Davies) and I've deleted the networking
one at the end since that work is in progress anyway.

I've had a stab at classifying them as 'GSoC'-friendly or not, mainly based
on difficulty.

Are we still planning to add a Mentor section with photos and bios?

Cheers,
Dave

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xen.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the GSoC application deadline is coming up : Feb 2014. If we want to have
> any chance of getting accepted this year, we ought to get our project list
> into good shape. The project list and how the project and menters present
> themselves has a bigger impact on whether we get accepted than the actual
> application.
>
> Also, I would like to add a mentor section this year: a short bio, what
> the mentor cares about and a picture. This will help make the project list
> more real.
>
> We have *4 weeks* to do this. The bar for GSoC has been getting
> increasingly high. I know, we are tied down with Xen 4.4, but this is
> something you need to do if you want the Xen Project to participate.
>
> a) Please, update http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Development_Projectsurgently (these need to be in good shape *before* the application). What I
> need you to do is:
> a.1) Remove items that are done
> a.2) Add new work items : we ought to have a few sexy topics on say
> Real-time, mobile and some of the other segments (assuming we can get HW)
> a.3) All project proposals need to be peer reviewed *and* clear ... The
> peer review process for projects we put in place last year worked well, by
> which we had past mentors sign of project proposals that were in good
> enough state.
>
> b) Anyone who has some kernel/linux/bsd/distro/qemu work-items, should get
> these listed on the respective other programs. And we should link to these
> from our project page.
>
> Best Regards
> Lars
> P.S.: I will also see whether we can participate as Xen Project under the
> LF GSoC program, but last year there was push-back and I don't expect this
> to change

Dave Scott
Re: [MirageOS-devel] Prepping for GSOC 2014 [URGENT] - deadline Feb 14 2014 [ In reply to ]
On 13/02/2014 16:11, David Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did a tidy-up of the Mirage/XAPI projects at the bottom. I've
> deleted some old projects after speaking with their technical contacts
> (in particular Jon Ludlam and Jonathan Davies) and I've deleted the
> networking one at the end since that work is in progress anyway.
Thank you!

> I've had a stab at classifying them as 'GSoC'-friendly or not, mainly
> based on difficulty.
>
> Are we still planning to add a Mentor section with photos and bios?

Too late now.

I will take the page and clone it and put in the application this
afternoon pacific time

Regards
Lars