Mailing List Archive

Installation Annoyances
So, hi. I'm having some problems with installing Wikipedia.

Is it an unreasonable layout to do something like this?

{Document Root}/wiki <- .phtml here
/upload <- nothing here (at first)
/style <- .css here

/usr/local/share/php4 <- .php files here, except...

/etc/wikipedia <- LocalSettings.php, Language*.php here

The docs seem to imply that this is a good setup, but the install.php
installer wants to write everything to $IP, which is apparently slang
for "where everything goes". Many of the libraries also have code
like:

include_once ("$IP/SomeOther.php");

...kind of making it hard to move files around. Gar. I'm a long-time
Web developer, and short-time Wikipedia code user, and I'm pretty
unhappy with the idea of dropping _everything_ into the
externally-served "{Document Root}/wiki", especially files with
passwords and whatnot.

I also figure config files like LocalSettings.php or Language*.php
should be separated out to keep them from getting stomped on.

Anyways, I've got all that stuff working, and I'd like to know if I
can submit a patch that divides the installed files into Web stuff,
PHP libraries, and config files?

~ESP
Re: Installation Annoyances [ In reply to ]
Evan-
> Anyways, I've got all that stuff working, and I'd like to know if I
> can submit a patch that divides the installed files into Web stuff,
> PHP libraries, and config files?

Just make sure the software finds all the files. If you do that, we could
change the existing wiki installations, which are currently independent
copies of the codebase, to one common codebase with different config
files.

Regards,

Erik