"python3-buster" and "python3-build-buster".

Is there documentation somewhere or links to repos where I can see what
Docker or Blubber files were used to create them?

*Sebastian Berlin*
Utvecklare/*Developer*
Wikimedia Sverige (WMSE)

E-post/*E-Mail*: sebastian.berlin@wikimedia.se
Telefon/*Phone*: (+46) 0707 - 92 03 84
Re: Where to find information about images in the Docker registry [ In reply to ]
Hi Sebastian,

We have dropped the "wikimedia-" prefix for base distribution images, you
can safely use the "bookworm" image
<https://docker-registry.wikimedia.org/bookworm> as a base image.

Regarding python images, the python-build-* images
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/operations/docker-images/production-images/+/refs/heads/master/images/python-build/>
are for building wheels that can be copied over to a runtime image. The
python3-bullseye
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/operations/docker-images/production-images/+/refs/heads/master/images/python/bullseye/Dockerfile.template>
and python3-buster
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/operations/docker-images/production-images/+/refs/heads/master/images/python/buster/Dockerfile.template>
images are runtime images. The python3 image (without suffix) is
deprecated. We do not yet produce a python3-bookworm image, although I
think that can be arranged pretty easily.

In the meantime, using the bookworm image and using blubber's apt directive
to install python3, python3-pip, and python3-setuptools will give you the
same thing.

All these images are base and production images
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/operations/docker-images/production-images/+/refs/heads/master>
images built through docker-pkg <https://doc.wikimedia.org/docker-pkg/>
following the "generations" outlined in our Kubernetes image building policy
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kubernetes/Images#Image_building>.

Hope this helps,

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 10:49?AM Sebastian Berlin <
sebastian.berlin@wikimedia.se> wrote:

> I'm updating some blubberised repos that a colleague of mine created some
> time ago and I'm not sure what base images from the Docker registry
> <https://docker-registry.wikimedia.org/> are the best to use.
>
> For instance, one repo uses docker-registry.wikimedia.org/wikimedia-buster
> as base image in .pipeline/blubber.yaml. I thought I'd update to Bookworm
> as the newest stable Debian release, but there is no image
> "wikimedia-bookworm", only "bookworm". I'd like to know what's different in
> the the ones with the wikimedia- prefix.
>
> There are also several different ones for Python, e.g. "python3",
> "python3-buster" and "python3-build-buster".
>
> Is there documentation somewhere or links to repos where I can see what
> Docker or Blubber files were used to create them?
>
> *Sebastian Berlin*
> Utvecklare/*Developer*
> Wikimedia Sverige (WMSE)
>
> E-post/*E-Mail*: sebastian.berlin@wikimedia.se
> Telefon/*Phone*: (+46) 0707 - 92 03 84

Clément Goubert (they/them)
Senior SRE
Wikimedia Foundation
Re: Where to find information about images in the Docker registry [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the thorough explanation. And thanks to Taavi who just added
a python-bookworm image (maybe inspired by my question ????).

The link to the production images is especially useful when I try to figure
out what the different images do. A bit of feedback for the registry that
would have helped me and may help in the future:
1. Add links from images to the Docker templates that were used to create
them.
2. Mark images that are deprecated so you know to not use them.

Take care,

Re: Where to find information about images in the Docker registry [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the feedback Sebastian, we have some work to do around the
software lifecycle that will hopefully help on both of these fronts.

Have a great day,

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 1:59?PM Sebastian Berlin <