Mailing List Archive

[Wikitech-I] Call for Projects and Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2024 and Outreachy Round 28 is OPEN!
Hello everyone,

Wikimedia is gearing up to apply as a mentoring organization for Google
Summer of Code 2024 <
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2024>[1] and Outreachy
Round 28 <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round_28> [2].
Currently, we're crafting a list of exciting project ideas for the
application. If you have any suggestions for projects, whether coding or
non-coding (design, documentation, translation, outreach, research), please
share them by February 5th via this Phabricator task: <
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T354734> [3]. Note that for non-coding
projects eligible for Outreachy, slots are limited and will be allocated to
mentors on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Timeline

In your role as a mentor, your involvement spans the application period for
both programs, taking place from March to April. During this time, you'll
guide candidates in making small contributions to your project and address
any project-related queries they may have. As the application period
concludes, you'll further intensify your collaboration with accepted
candidates throughout the coding period, which extends from May to August.
Your support and guidance are crucial to their success in the program.

Guidelines for Crafting Project Proposals:

-

Follow this task description template when you propose a project in
Phabricator: <
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/outreach-programs-projects> [4].
You can also use this workboard to pick an idea if you don't have one
already. Add #Google- Summer-of-Code (2024) or #Outreachy (Round 28) tag.
-

Project should require an experienced developer ~15 days and a newcomer
~3 months to complete.
-

Each project should have at least two mentors, including one with a
technical background.
-

Ideally, the project has no tight deadlines, a moderate learning curve,
and fewer dependencies on Wikimedia's core infrastructure. Projects
addressing the needs of a language community are most welcome.

* Learn more about the roles and responsibilities of Mentors for both
programs:*

-

Outreachy: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Mentors> [5]
-

Google Summer of Code: <
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/Mentors> [6]

Thank you,

Links:

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2024

[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round_28

[4] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/outreach-programs-projects

[5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Mentors

[6] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/Mentors

--
*Onyinyechi Onifade *
Technical Community Program Manager
Re: [Wikitech-I] Call for Projects and Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2024 and Outreachy Round 28 is OPEN! [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

The submission deadline for projects on the Outreachy and GSOC 2024 website is drawing near! Here’s your chance to empower new contributors and involve them in open source projects by taking on the role of a mentor. Whether your expertise lies in coding or non-coding areas such as design, documentation, translation, outreach, or research, we encourage you to share your project submissions.

To streamline the process, kindly submit your projects as sub-tasks of this Phabricator task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T354734 before Monday February 5th 2024.

We’re looking forward to receiving your projects!

Regards,

Onyinye & Shiela (Wikimedia Org Admins)
Re: [Wikitech-I] Call for Projects and Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2024 and Outreachy Round 28 is OPEN! [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

We’re still accepting projects for GSOC 2024 and Outreachy (28)! ???? Here's
the revised deadlines:

-

Outreachy <https://www.outreachy.org/>: February 23rd 2024 is the
deadline to submit the project on the website. We encourage you to submit
your project via Phabricator <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T354734>
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T354734> ahead of this deadline.
-

GSOC <https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2024>: Wikimedia's
application is currently under review, along with the list of projects
available on the MediaWiki page
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2024>. If you have
a project you'd like to submit for GSOC, we'd love to hear from you
before *February
20th, 2024*.

A special thank you to those who have already shared their project
proposals.

Find out more information on Project Proposals, Internship timeline and
Roles and Responsibilities of Mentors for both programs here
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/Y7PRNX3SMKLTT6ABLGYADTLT2NQ7MKJE/>.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

Re: [Wikitech-I] Call for Projects and Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2024 and Outreachy Round 28 is OPEN! [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

The Commons Android app (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Mobile_app), GSoC participant every year since 2018, proposes the following project:

== Improve upload queue management ==
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T356237
- Process upload tasks as a real queue,
- Make it easier to see whether all uploads are finished or not,
- Prevent retries for genuinely failed uploads,
- etc, see details on Phabricator.

Mentors: Nicolas Raoul, Ritika Pahwa

Best regards,
Nicolas Raoul
Re: [Wikitech-I] Call for Projects and Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2024 and Outreachy Round 28 is OPEN! [ In reply to ]
Hello all,

From the Scribe community that makes Wikidata based language learning tools it's my pleasure to propose two projects for this year's Google Summer of Code:

== Scribe-Data: Refactor into a multi purpose Wikidata language pack CLI tool ==
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T358064
- We want to achieve a long term team goal of converting the Scribe-Data formatting process into a general tool for all
- You'll be able to easily download formatted Wikidata language-word type packs (German nouns, French verbs, etc)
- Lots of SPARQL to learn as we expand the query base to as many languages as we can!
- Deployment via source or Python's pip

Mentors in order: Will Yoshida, Andrew McAllister, Henrik Thomasson

== Scribe-iOS: Add multilingual translation and internationalized interfaces ==
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T358063
- After a successful GSoC '23 we're on to another milestone for our community where we want to be able to translate in keyboard from any Scribe language to any other
- As of now we can only do English to keyboard language
- We'll also work to expand the internationalization of the application and build a full code-based i18n process that integrates into current and future applications

Mentors in order: Andrew McAllister, Henrik Thomasson, Will Yoshida

All the best,
Andrew McAllister
Re: [Wikitech-I] Call for Projects and Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2024 and Outreachy Round 28 is OPEN! [ In reply to ]
Hello Onyinyechi,
I submitted two project ideas directly on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2024 in late February.
There are the copy :

=== 9. Lingua Libre SignIt ===
Lingua Libre's mission has been extended to [[:en:Sign Languages|Sign Languages]] in 2019. Both a click-and-translate Firefox extension and a video recording studio have been developped. Both system UI exist in 35+ languages allowing the global documentation and learning of sign languages. As Manisfest v2.0 extensions are being phased out, the project is under threat. A full revamp into manifest v3.0 and a modern extension structure would allow the project to be compatible with all web navigators.
*'''Tech stack''': JS, NodeJS, potentially modern frameworks (Vue, React, Svelte)
*'''Size''': 90 hours
* '''Difficulty''': Intermediate
* '''Mentor(s)''': [[:meta:User:Yug|Yug]].
* '''Relevant links:''' [https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T359799 Phabricator project], [https://github.com/lingua-libre/Signit Repository], [https://github.com/lingua-libre/Signit/Issues Issues], [[:meta:Lingua_Libre/SignIt|Lingua Libre SignIt]], [https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/lingua-libre-signit/Lingua Firefox extension]

=== 10. Lingua Libre v3.0 enhancement and migration ===
In the field of Language diversity, Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia France have supported [https://LinguaLibre.org LinguaLibre.org], a single page VueJS application to rapidly record vocabulary of the world. Over 240 languages and 1.2 millions audios have been recorded into Wikimedia sites through this project. Current back end (wikibase, blazegraph) while interesting have shown limitations, mostly limited query speed, no API, and duplication of data. A revamp have been engaged but requires much more work to be pushed into production and upgraded into an elegant service.
*'''Tech stack''': VueJS, Django (Python), NodeJS
*'''Size''': 350 hours
* '''Difficulty''': Intermediate
* '''Mentor(s)''': [[:meta:User:Yug|Yug]], [[:meta:User:Poslovitch|Poslovitch]]
* '''Relevant links:''' [https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T359797 Phabricator Project], [[gitlab:repos/wikimedia-france/lingua-libre/lingua-libre|Repository]], [[phab:project/view/6913/|Phabricator dashboard]], [[:meta:Lingua_Libre|Lingua Libre]]
Re: [Wikitech-I] Call for Projects and Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2024 and Outreachy Round 28 is OPEN! [ In reply to ]
Hello Onyinyechi,

Thank you for your projects. I'm interested in LiLi and I'd appreciate to
support mentees. Do you need a co-mentor?

Thank you
Abel Lifaefi Mbula
Free Software Dev
Free Culture Enthousiast

Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send
OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/