Mailing List Archive

Re: [MediaWiki-l] Re: MediaWiki Insights - Fourth Monthly Email
Hi Moritz,

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 7:20?PM Physikerwelt <wiki@physikerwelt.de> wrote:

> Hi Birgit and team,
>
> I really appreciate this effort and congratulations on the wonderful
> results.

Thank you :) - this is really thanks to the work of many people - it takes
a village!

> After having checked the links in the mail, all my open questions are
> answered except for one:
>
> Is there a mechanism to flag tickets that need a review? From the
> description in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/3144/
> <https://goto-ng.fiz-karlsruhe.de/project/profile/3144/,DanaInfo=phabricator.wikimedia.org,SSL+>
> one gets the impression that this is on halt.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/3144/ is only
semi-related to this question - this is about a process to flag extensions
or services where a decision on its future needs to be made (sunset, move
it under stewardship of a different team, find a different solution to
address the problems, etc.).

On existing mechanisms to flag tickets that need a review:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Code_review/Getting_reviews gives
general guidance on best practices and workflow/mechanism.

For MW Engineering: Patches for projects that are under the group’s
stewardship as per developers/maintainers
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developers/Maintainers> can be flagged by
adding the mediawiki-engineering-group tag
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/6796/> to the
corresponding ticket in Phabricator (or the respective sub team tag).
Incoming tickets are usually triaged on a weekly basis or may be picked up
in between if it’s a small thing. Code reviews outside of the initial scope
as per developers/maintainers happen as well, but we’re still thinking
about what we can realistically do. The primary focus is described under
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Product_Insights/Contributor_retention_and_growth#MediaWiki_core
and below.

Hope that helps answer your question. I’ll get back to you in January in
case you have more questions :-)

Birgit

Re: [MediaWiki-l] Re: MediaWiki Insights - Fourth Monthly Email [ In reply to ]

> Moriel and others have been working on mapping high level essential user
>>> workflows such as edit and patrol against platform components to explore
>>> workflow patterns and potential architectural opportunities in the
>>> platform. One outcome of this is going to be to describe the key challenges
>>> when trying to model our system. Many thanks to Moriel for leading on this
>>> work, and Daniel, Timo, Subbu, James, Cindy, Emanuele and Amir S for their
>>> support, great questions and ideas!

Piling on the thanks for this work, it's super exciting and ripe with
opportunities for collaboration. Do please make the rounds to all of us
with the outcomes and ideas.