Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia Research Showcase] December 12 at 17:30 UTC
Hi All,

The next Research Showcase will be live-streamed on Tuesday, December
12, at 9:30 AM PST / 17:30 UTC. Find your local time here
<https://zonestamp.toolforge.org/1702402200>. This is a special
showcase featuring a panel titled *"*A year of Generative AI: *Future
directions for Wikimedia". *You can find more information on this
showcase below.

You can watch via the YouTube stream:
https://youtube.com/live/UnAsD7-hZpo?feature=share
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://youtube.com/live/UnAsD7-hZpo?feature%3Dshare&sa=D&source=calendar&ust=1702028854564402&usg=AOvVaw3BBBB2tCP8X-Sli34Ch0JU>.
As usual, you can join the conversation in the YouTube chat as soon as
the showcase goes live.

*This December marks the one-year anniversary of ChatGPT with the
resulting public interest in generative AI and growing research focus
on practical uses of large language models. There has been much
discussion about how these generative models might disrupt the
Wikimedia projects but also prototyping to see where they might be
useful. To discuss what we've learned in the past year and what
opportunities ahead are being enabled by research, we bring together a
panel of four folks: Isaac Johnson (senior research scientist at the
Wikimedia Foundation) will be the moderator and the three panelists
are User:Barkeep49 [1], Maryana Pinchuk [2], and Robert West [3] to
bring perspectives from the volunteer, product, and research
communities.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Barkeep49
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Barkeep49>
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:MPinchuk_(WMF)
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:MPinchuk_(WMF)>
[3] https://dlab.epfl.ch/people/west/ <https://dlab.epfl.ch/people/west/> *

Looking forward to seeing you there!

--

Kinneret Gordon

Lead Research Community Officer

Re: [Wikimedia Research Showcase] December 12 at 17:30 UTC [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

The Research Showcase panel on *"*A year of Generative AI: *Future
directions for Wikimedia"* is starting in about 1 hour. Please join us at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnAsD7-hZpo.