Mailing List Archive

Wiki content and other dumps new ownership, feedback requested on new version!
Hello folks!

For some years now, I've been the main or only point of contact for the
Wiki project sql/xml dumps semimonthly, as well as for a number of
miscellaneous weekly datasets.

This work is now passing to Data Platform Engineering (DPE), and your new
points of contact, starting right away, will be Will Doran (email:wdoran)
and Virginia Poundstone (email:vpoundstone). I'll still be lending a hand
in the background for a little while but by the end of the month I'll have
transitioned into a new role at the Wikimedia Foundation, working more
directly on MediaWiki itself.

The Data Products team, a subteam of DPE, will be managing the current
dumps day-to-day, as well as working on a new dumps system intended to
replace and greatly improve the current one. What formats will it produce,
and what content, and in what bundles? These are all great questions, and
you have a chance to help decide on the answers. The team is gathering
feedback right now; follow this link [
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScp2KzkcTF7kE8gilCeSogzpeoVN-8yp_SY6Q47eEbuYfXzsw/viewform?usp=sf_link]
to give your input!

If you want to follow along on work being done on the new dumps system, you
can check the phabricator workboard at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/6630/ and look for items
with the "Dumps 2.0" tag.

Members of the Data Products team are already stepping up to manage the
xmldatadumps-l mailing list, so you should not notice any changes as far as
that goes.

And as always, for dumps-related questions people on this list cannot
answer, and which are not covered in the docs at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Data_dumps or
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Dumps you can always email ops-dumps
(at) wikimedia.org.

See you on the wikis!

Ariel Glenn
ariel@wikimedia.org
Re: Wiki content and other dumps new ownership, feedback requested on new version! [ In reply to ]
Ariel, your dedication to dumps has always been an inspiration to me, both
in how you handled the technology and how you fused that with your care for
the ideas behind it. Thank you, and hope we can do it justice with the
next phase of Dumps.

Re: Wiki content and other dumps new ownership, feedback requested on new version! [ In reply to ]
+1 to Dan. Ariel thank you for so many years of doing this essential work.

Re: Wiki content and other dumps new ownership, feedback requested on new version! [ In reply to ]
Thanks for setting an example for this kind of work should be done.

Re: Wiki content and other dumps new ownership, feedback requested on new version! [ In reply to ]
Thanks Ariel for the kind and thorough update. and Dennis's sentiment
exactly!