Mailing List Archive

ORES extension: Switching backend to Lift Wing for fiwiki and itwiki
Hi everybody!

A couple of weeks ago we started switching the backend used by the ORES
extension which is used by the Recent Changes filters.
After fixing the issue that was caused in some wikis (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T343308) the Machine Learning team
started rolling out the change again.
We have already deployed the changes to *fiwiki* and *itwiki* and will
continue with the rest of the wikis starting from next week.

This change is using Lift Wing (
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Machine_Learning/LiftWing) to get
revision scores instead of ORES, and is a necessary step in the process of
deprecating ORES (for more info please refer to the "ORES to Lift Wing
Migration
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/EK65B7QCQHEG37C2ERPIUSP64OX3ZEUJ/>"
email).
The purpose of this change is to use *exactly* the same models which are
also deployed on Lift Wing so there shouldn't be anything different for our
users.

If however you see anything out of the ordinary, feel free to contact
the Machine Learning team:

IRC libera: #wikimedia-ml
Phabricator: Machine-Learning-team tag

Thank you!

Ilias (on behalf of the Machine Learning team)
Re: ORES extension: Switching backend to Lift Wing for fiwiki and itwiki [ In reply to ]
Hello!

Lift Wing has now been enabled for all wikis that were using ORES
*except* enwiki
and wikidata. These two will follow in a separate deployment next week.

Once again if you notice anything unusual or have concerns, feel free to
contact
the Machine Learning team:

IRC libera: #wikimedia-ml
Phabricator: Machine-Learning-team tag

Thank you!

Ilias (on behalf of the Machine Learning team)

Re: ORES extension: Switching backend to Lift Wing for fiwiki and itwiki [ In reply to ]
Hello!

Following up on the previous messages, we wanted to let you know that today we have successfully deployed the same changes to enwiki and wikidata, specifically enabling Lift Wing.
As a result of this deployment, Lift Wing has now replaced ORES in all wikis where ORES filters were previously active in the recent changes page.