Mailing List Archive

Moving Wikimedia Developer Account creation
Hi all,

We have removed the developer account signup from Wikitech and are now
directing new users towards https://idm.wikimedia.org instead.

This is the first step in the implementation of our new identity manager,
and a small step towards making Wikitech a little less special.

Part of our documentation was updated yesterday, August 30th, and the first
accounts have already been successfully created.

Should there be a need to re-enable the account creation process on
Wikitech, this can be done by reverting:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/operations/mediawiki-config/+/952209/

If you have any questions, concerns or documentation that needs updating,
please reach out to me or the infrastructure foundation team.

Thank you to everyone who helped us get this far.

--
Simon Lyngshede
Site Reliability Engineer / Infrastructure Foundations
Re: Moving Wikimedia Developer Account creation [ In reply to ]
To add some context to my previous mail:

The Infrastructure Foundations team in Wikimedia Site Reliability
Engineering is working on a new identity management system, named Bitu. It
is intended to be a centralized point for managing logins, password, access
rights and SSH keys for Wikimedia Developer accounts. This is unrelated to
on-wiki user accounts and permissions. The new service is available at
https://idm.wikimedia.org. You can find the Bitu code at
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/admin/repos/operations/software/bitu

In the initial release we focus on moving the developer account signup to
Bitu. It’s important to us that this migration is communicated clearly and
in a way that’s understandable and acceptable to our community, which is
one of the reasons for a slow rollout of features. If you are helping
people with creating a new account, please ask them to use
https://idm.wikimedia.org.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to
sre-foundations@wikimedia.org. If you have any enhancement proposals or bug
reports please file them in Phabricator with the “Bitu” component.