Mailing List Archive

Attempt to deprecate the mediawiki.revision-score stream
Hi everybody,

In https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T342116 the Machine Learning team
announces its intention to deprecate the mediawiki.revision-score stream.
For external users, the stream is consumable via the
https://stream.wikimedia.org API and it currently has very few users.

Our idea is to create smaller streams, one for each model type, instead of
having a big aggregator. For example, revision 123456 for enwiki ends up
with several scores from various models in the current revision-score
stream, that is convenient but very hard to manage and maintain for us
(since it is not clear if users are interested in all the data or only a
subset of it). The revision-score stream is also very tightly coupled with
the ORES' architecture, which we are trying to deprecate. In the future we
plan to have smaller streams, in which every revision will get associated
with a single score, from a specific model server:

mediawiki.revision-score-goodfaith
mediawiki.revision-score-damaging
[ and also new models that will be deployed. ]

To avoid creating unnecessary streams, we'll create the ones that WMF teams
and the community will need and ask during the next months. If you have any
requirement, please follow up with us:

- Email: ml@wikimedia.org
- Phabricator: #Machine-Learning-Team tag
- IRC (Libera): #wikimedia-ml

If you are a user of the Mediawiki revision-score stream please follow up
on the task above explaining your use case, we'll try to do our best to
find a good solution for you!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Luca
Re: Attempt to deprecate the mediawiki.revision-score stream [ In reply to ]
Hi everybody,

The mediawiki.revision-score stream has been removed from Event Streams (UI
and Service). More info https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T342116.

Thanks!

Luca (on behalf of the Machine Learning team)

Re: Attempt to deprecate the mediawiki.revision-score stream [ In reply to ]
Hi folks,

To complete the deprecation the Machine Learning team stopped and removed
the Change Propagation rule that was responsible for the creation of the
mediawiki.revision-score stream (up to now only published internally since
the Event Stream's config was removed some days ago).

The side effect of this change is that ORES client latency will increase a
bit (due to the absence of precache), but we don't foresee any noticeable
issue. If you see any, or if you have concerns, please let us know in