This means you will not get realtime (pop-up) notifications on Phabricator.
(If you had those enabled in the first place).

Regular notifications (that do not pop-up) and emails are not affected by
this.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T238593

--
Daniel Zahn <dzahn@wikimedia.org>
Operations Engineer
Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
Is that also the reason why tasks don't update in realtime on the
workboards anymore? I for one thought that was a great addition.

*Sebastian Berlin*
Utvecklare/*Developer*
Wikimedia Sverige (WMSE)

E-post/*E-Mail*: sebastian.berlin@wikimedia.se
Telefon/*Phone*: (+46) 0707 - 92 03 84

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 11:21 AM Sebastian Berlin <
sebastian.berlin@wikimedia.se> wrote:

> Is that also the reason why tasks don't update in realtime on the
> workboards anymore?

If you mean tasks moving from column to column in workboards, no that is
unrelated and done by the
Phabricator maintenance bot by Amir Sarabadani, afaik.

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
I think they mean that if you have the board open and someone else moves a
task, it will update on your end in realtime.

I imagine this *would* be affected by the change.

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
Ah. Yes, this sounds like the relatively new feature from:

https://secure.phabricator.com/T13357
https://secure.phabricator.com/T4900

It is affected then.

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
Yes, that was the feature I was referring to. It's very nice to have when
planning using workboards, especially when it's done remotely.

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
While I don't care much about the "this task was updated" popups, I do miss the
immediate updates of workboards. It enables two use cases previously missing:

* have a board open in a tab to keep track on progress, without the need to
reload every time you look at it

* work on a board with multiple people remotely, with everyone having an up to
helpful.

Can we get this back, please?

Am 26.11.19 um 02:10 schrieb Daniel Zahn:
> Ah. Yes, this sounds like the relatively new feature from:
>
> https://secure.phabricator.com/T13357
> https://secure.phabricator.com/T4900
>
> It is affected then.
>
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 6:30 PM David Barratt <dbarratt@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I think they mean that if you have the board open and someone else moves a
>> task, it will update on your end in realtime.
>>
>> I imagine this *would* be affected by the change.
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 6:28 PM Daniel Zahn <dzahn@wikimedia.org> wrote:

>>> If you mean tasks moving from column to column in workboards, no that is
>>> unrelated and done by the
>>> Phabricator maintenance bot by Amir Sarabadani, afaik.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Daniel Zahn <dzahn@wikimedia.org>
>>> Operations Engineer

Daniel Kinzler
Principal Software Engineer, Core Platform
Wikimedia Foundation

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]

> * work on a board with multiple people remotely, with everyone having an
> up to date view of the board, avoiding interference and confusion. This was
> REALLY helpful.

This use case is very valuable for our remote team as well. We got confused
and interfered with each other during sprint planning just yesterday
because we forgot this feature was disabled. It has been much easier to
collectively update the workboards since it was introduced; we'd love to
have it back.

Trey Jones
Sr. Software Engineer, Search Platform
Wikimedia Foundation
UTC-5 / EST

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
You voices have been heard. We'll have a meeting next week to talk about
how to reactivate it.

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
Am 28.11.19 um 02:50 schrieb Daniel Zahn:
> You voices have been heard. We'll have a meeting next week to talk about
> how to reactivate it.

Thank you!

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Daniel Z! I also found it quite a useful feature! :)

Deb

--

deb tankersley (she/her)

program manager, engineering

Wikimedia Foundation

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
That's great news! Thanks!

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
re: > "aphlict" service had been disabled on Phabricator because it
caused stability issues.

I am happy to announce that aphlict, the notification service for
Phabricator using websockets, is now finally back again.

If you allow it in your Phabricator settings you should get realtime
pop-up notifications again (or for the first time ever if you are
newer).

Also when tasks are moved around on workboards you should see that
again without having to reload the page.

In your Phabricator Settings -> Applications -> Notifications you can
choose from "Web Only", "Desktop Only, "Web and Desktop" or "No
Notifications". Up to you which you like most.

--- snip --- some technical details follow if you care ---

aphlict is now running on a dedicated VM just that is separate from
the main Phabricator server, called aphlict1001.eqiad.wmnet. It is
running on Debian buster with nodejs 10.

We are not using Apache with "mod_proxy_wstunnel" any longer which
caused the original instability and even
if it was still unstable it would not affect the main Phabricator
anymore as it did in the past.

Also our caching servers (ATS/Varnish) now speak TLS to an envoy-proxy
on the dedicated backend which then proxies to the aphlict service
locally. So traffic is encrypted also behind the caching layer and no
more httpd is involved.

The flow is now:

user client -> wss://phabricator.wikimedia.org (ATS) ->
ws://<local>:3120 (Varnish) -> wss://aphlict.discovery.wmnet (Envoy)
-> (local) nodejs:22280
and separately phab1001 -> aphlict1001:22281

This resolved https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T238593

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
We were very happy to see workboards updating as we moved tasks during our
Platform Team Clinic Duty Triage meeting today. In fact, we took a quick
break from triaging tasks to have a moment of celebration! This is more
than just a minor convenience - in these meetings we move a lot of tasks
around as a group. These aren't exactly inexpensive meetings for the
Foundation, as we usually have several engineers and managers
participating. So the efficiency we gain via the automatic update is very
real and impactful, and this change is very much appreciated.

Bill Pirkle
Software Engineer
www.wikimediafoundation.org

Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]
On 20-08-11 15:04:56, Daniel Zahn wrote:
>re: > "aphlict" service had been disabled on Phabricator because it
>caused stability issues.
>
>I am happy to announce that aphlict, the notification service for
>Phabricator using websockets, is now finally back again.

\o/ This is great news!

Thank you for working to get this restored.

Realtime notifications are super useful for us; particularly for train
blocker tasks: very happy this service is back!

-- Tyler
Re: realtime notifications disabled in Phabricator [ In reply to ]

> Also when tasks are moved around on workboards you should see that
> again without having to reload the page.

I was very glad to see that this had been fixed when I came back from
vacation. Great work!