one of the Wikipedia servers?

Greetings,
Timwi
Re: Continuing CVS server problems [ In reply to ]
Timwi wrote:

> I'm getting really fed up with the continuing problems with the CVS
> server. I don't see how I can do anything productive like this.
>
> Would it be feasible if we set up a CVS server of our own rather than
> using Sourceforge's? Would it produce a lot of traffic if we just used
> one of the Wikipedia servers?

Sorry, but you seem to be the only one having problems with Sourceforge.

You are useing cvs.sourcforge.net as server (which is the developer
cvs-server, instead of the public cvs.wikipedia.sourceforge.net Server)?

Setting up a CVS Server is the cosing activity, not the traffic. And keep
it secure.

--
Smurf

smurf@AdamAnt.mud.de
------------------------- Anthill inside! ---------------------------
Re: Continuing CVS server problems [ In reply to ]
Well, he is not the only one having problems. I was never able to make a
connection either and finally gave up and used phase 2.

Fred

Re: Continuing CVS server problems [ In reply to ]
Fred Bauder wrote:

>Well, he is not the only one having problems. I was never able to make a
>connection either and finally gave up and used phase 2.

Hmm... bad news. :(

I've uploaded a snapshot of phase 3 to the files section, and also put
it on our website:

http://download.wikipedia.org/wikipedia-snapshot-20030710.tar.gz

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Continuing CVS server problems [ In reply to ]
Thomas Corell wrote:

> You are useing cvs.sourcforge.net as server (which is the developer
> cvs-server, instead of the public cvs.wikipedia.sourceforge.net Server)?

I didn't know that. Nor did I know I was supposed to use ssh instead of
pserver. So I tried that, and this is what I get now:

In Linux:

/c/Wikipedia> export CVS_RSH=ssh
/c/Wikipedia> cvs -z3 -d:ext:Timwi@cvs.sourcforge.net:/cvsroot/wikipedia
co phase3
ssh: cvs.sourcforge.net: Name or service not known
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
if any)

What am I doing wrong here?

In Windows:

cvs checkout -P phase3 (in directory C:\Wikipedia)
cvs [checkout aborted]: Connection to server failed

... although the true cause of this could be that I don't have a Windows
port of ssh. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks,
Timwi
Re: Re: Continuing CVS server problems [ In reply to ]

Hrm, you _did_ read http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=34373 right?

> ssh: cvs.sourcforge.net: Name or service not known
>
> What am I doing wrong here?

Try cvs.sourcEforge.net :)

(Also I don't know if it would consider usernames to be case-sensitive.
Try 'timwi' if 'Timwi' doesn't get you anywhere.)

http://www.cygwin.com/

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Continuing CVS server problems [ In reply to ]
Hi Brion,

first of all, thanks a lot for all your patience in trying to track down
this problem for me. However, I've as yet still been unsuccessful:

Brion Vibber wrote:

> Hrm, you _did_ read http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=34373 right?

No. I don't remember anyone linking to that before. Thanks.

> Try cvs.sourcEforge.net :)

Oops, how embarrassing :-)

Now I'm getting this in Linux:

/c/Wikipedia> cvs -z3
-d:ext:timwi@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/wikipedia co phase3
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
if any)

The first time I tried, it took about 10 minutes or so until it produced
this error. Now it does it immediately.

> http://www.cygwin.com/

cvs checkout -P phase3 (in directory C:\wikipedia)
Could not create directory '/home/Timwi/.ssh'.

:-(

(Anyone know how to tell the Cygwin ssh not to try to create Unix
filepaths? o.O)

Again, thanks for any help you can offer,
Timwi
Re: Re: Continuing CVS server problems [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Timwi wrote:
> Now I'm getting this in Linux:
>
> /c/Wikipedia> cvs -z3
> -d:ext:timwi@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/wikipedia co phase3
> cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
> if any)
>
> The first time I tried, it took about 10 minutes or so until it produced
> this error. Now it does it immediately.

I did a fresh checkout about an hour ago just to make sure it works (from
my OS X machine at work), and had no problem.

Let's diagnose this thing...

ssh -v timwi@cvs.sourceforge.net

What do you get?

> Could not create directory '/home/Timwi/.ssh'.
> (Anyone know how to tell the Cygwin ssh not to try to create Unix
> filepaths? o.O)

Why don't you just create /home/Timwi? (Probably under c:\cygwin; if you
installed as administrator, double-check the permissions.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Continuing CVS server problems [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

> Why don't you just create /home/Timwi? (Probably under c:\cygwin; if
> you installed as administrator, double-check the permissions.)

That did it! I didn't know it interpreted those paths to be under C:\cygwin.

Thanks, I've got CVS working now! Yay!

*gives you a very special hug*

Greetings,
Timwi
Re: Re: Continuing CVS server problems [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Timwi wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
>
> > Why don't you just create /home/Timwi? (Probably under c:\cygwin; if
> > you installed as administrator, double-check the permissions.)
>
> That did it! I didn't know it interpreted those paths to be under C:\cygwin.
>
> Thanks, I've got CVS working now! Yay!
>
> *gives you a very special hug*

Congratulations! Just don't go rewriting the whole thing in perl before
you've figured out how the current code works, now... ;)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)