Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Re: Fair use [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 11 June 2003 19:10, Jason Richey wrote:
> This discussion is making my head spin... Let me see if I can get the
> basics in order for myself (please, let me know if I don't have it
> right):
>
> * Everyone basically agrees that the text (not including quotes, which
> I don't intend to discuss here) of Wikipedia is okay, even if the
> text refers to an image that is fair use.

yes.

> * Everyone agrees that The en Wikipedia has some images that we are
> legally allowed to use (on the website) under fair use assuming that
> we don't claim they are GFDL.

legally to use wrt "fair use": yes.
But illegal to use because we are mixing GFDL and non-free content which is
forbidden by GFDL. Note: Erik does not agree with this interpretation of
GFDL.

> * Most everyone agrees that there is little chance that we can get the
> copyright holders of every image to switch to a GFDL license. This
> said, some people say that we can't distribute the images with the
> GFDL products, as it would violate the license.

yes.

> * Most everyone has decided what they think, and will argue his/her
> opinion until the cows come home (and then some).

yes ;-)

> If I understand correctly, the problem is most evident when we
> consider printed formats (like grandma's encyclopedia). I don't think
> that anyone has argued that we can distribute fair use images if we go
> to a printed (combined) work. So, fair use images should not be in a
> printed version.

well, they shouldn't be in Wikipedia at all IMHO, but you are right with
saying that a printed version is not allowed using "fair use" images.

best regards,
Marco

--
Marco Krohn
Theoretical Physics
Re: Re: Fair use [ In reply to ]
Hmm... I hadn't considerred webserving as distribution... This may
explain why I have been so confused by the discussion as a whole.

Jason

"Jason C. Richey" <jasonr@bomis.com>
Re: Re: Fair use [ In reply to ]
--- Jason Richey <jasonr@bomis.com> wrote:

> This said, it seems reasonable to say that articles that *NEED* an
> image should have GFDL images only. Articles that benefit from
> images
> should use GFDL images or shouldn't talk about the images (don't say
> "image below" or the like) as fair use images will not appear in a
> printed version.

I don't think any article *NEEDS* a picture; any such article should be
rewritten to be usable by blind users and other text-mode browsers. Of
course, many articles *BENEFIT* immensely from a picture. In the few
cases where no suitable GFDL or public domain picture can be located,
linking to a site containing a non-free picture seems to be sufficient.

Axel

http://calendar.yahoo.com
Re: Re: Fair use [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:10:21AM -0700, Jason Richey wrote:
> This discussion is making my head spin... Let me see if I can get the
> basics in order for myself (please, let me know if I don't have it
> right):
>
> * Everyone basically agrees that the text (not including quotes, which
> I don't intend to discuss here) of Wikipedia is okay, even if the
> text refers to an image that is fair use.
>
> * Everyone agrees that The en Wikipedia has some images that we are
> legally allowed to use (on the website) under fair use assuming that
> we don't claim they are GFDL.

no, it's not legal because of gfdl.
i'm also not sure if most of these celebrity photos are really under
fair use at all
Re: Re: Fair use [ In reply to ]
Marco Krohn wrote:
> well, they shouldn't be in Wikipedia at all IMHO, but you are right with
> saying that a printed version is not allowed using "fair use" images.

A printed version could easily use "fair use" images and could still
be distributed under the GNU FDL. All that would be needed would be a
prominent explanation in the book that it is an aggregation of
independent works, under paragraph 7, and an indication by each image
of what it's status is.

--Jimbo
Re: Re: Fair use [ In reply to ]
--- Jimmy Wales <jwales@bomis.com> wrote:
> Marco Krohn wrote:
> > well, they shouldn't be in Wikipedia at all IMHO, but you are right
> > with saying that a printed version is not allowed using "fair use"
> > images.
>
> A printed version could easily use "fair use" images and could still
> be distributed under the GNU FDL. All that would be needed would
> be a prominent explanation in the book that it is an aggregation of
> independent works, under paragraph 7, and an indication by each image
> of what it's status is.

But something doesn't become an "aggregation" just because the author
says so; it's a matter of law. If it's a derivative work, then it's not
an aggregation, per paragraph 7 GFDL. Now "derivative work" is a
technical term defined in 17 U.S.C. sec. 101 and probably further in
case law. The question then is whether illustrating text with a photo
creates a derivative work of the text. I'm not a lawyer and I don't
want to play one on TV, so I'll shut up.

Axel