Can somebody setup a redirect from http://nds.wikipedia.org and
http://www.nds.wikipedia.org to http://za.wikipedia.com

The Plattdüütsch Wikipedia now is using a old usemod wikipedia whit the
wrong language code. Whit the redirect the can spread the good url even when the
do not have a fase III wiki

Giskart

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more http://www.gmx.net +++
Re: request for a redirect [ In reply to ]
giskart@gmx.net wrote in

> Can somebody setup a redirect from http://nds.wikipedia.org and
> http://www.nds.wikipedia.org to http://za.wikipedia.com
>
> The Plattdüütsch Wikipedia now is using a old usemod wikipedia whit
> the wrong language code. Whit the redirect the can spread the good
> url even when the do not have a fase III wiki
>
> Giskart

On the Plattdüütsch Wikipedia is a note that if nds is not possibel the
like pd.wikipedia.org

This is the note;

:This subdomain was originally reserverd for the creation of a Wikipedia in
the Zhuang language. It is now temporarily in use for the Low Saxon
Wikipedia
sysops: please move these low saxon contents to pd.wikipedia.com (prefered,
since .org is so slowly) or pd.wikipedia.org. Look at Sysop advice]
As soon as three letter codes are supported by software, the domain should
be nds.wikipedia.org since nds is the official ISO 639-2 code since 2000-
05-31

--
Contact: giskart AT wikipedia.be
Ook een artikeltje schrijven? WikipediaNL, de vrije GNU/FDL encyclopedie
Re: Re: request for a redirect [ In reply to ]
Re: request for a redirect [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 May 2003 giskart@gmx.net wrote:

> Can somebody setup a redirect from http://nds.wikipedia.org and
> http://www.nds.wikipedia.org to http://za.wikipedia.com
>
> The Plattdüütsch Wikipedia now is using a old usemod wikipedia whit the
> wrong language code. Whit the redirect the can spread the good url even when the
> do not have a fase III wiki

As I understand, the main organizers of this Wikipedia would prefer
"pd" rather than "nds". Or is "pd" already an in-use language code?

Andre Engels
Re: request for a redirect [ In reply to ]
Andre Engels <engels@uni-koblenz.de> wrote in

> As I understand, the main organizers of this Wikipedia would prefer
> "pd" rather than "nds". Or is "pd" already an in-use language code?
>
> Andre Engels

I am not so sure the like "pd" more. User "Baas" is happy whit the "nds"
redirect. He thanks my and Brion.
http://za.wikipedia.com/wiki.cgi?HomePage/Talk

Baas has put on the main page
"The current subdomain is http://www.nds.wikipedia.org because nds is the
official ISO 639-2 code since 2000-05-31"

It looks there are only 2 users working on that Wikipedia.

But it can not do anything wrong if there is also a redirect form
pd.wikipedia.org to that Wikipedia.

Re: request for a redirect [ In reply to ]
Andre Engels wrote:

>As I understand, the main organizers of this Wikipedia would prefer
>"pd" rather than "nds". Or is "pd" already an in-use language code?

"pd" is not an ISO 639-1 language code.
Is it possible that it might be assigned sometime later?
Or is ISO only assigning (3-letter) 639-2 codes now?

-- Toby
Re: request for a redirect [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Toby Bartels wrote:
> Andre Engels wrote:
> >As I understand, the main organizers of this Wikipedia would prefer
> >"pd" rather than "nds". Or is "pd" already an in-use language code?
>
> "pd" is not an ISO 639-1 language code.
> Is it possible that it might be assigned sometime later?
> Or is ISO only assigning (3-letter) 639-2 codes now?

Theoretically it could be assigned... the last change to ISO 639-1 was
this February, with the addition of 'ht' for Haitian Creole.

See: http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/codechanges.html

We do already have for instance redirects for dk -> da (Denmark ->
Danish), cz -> cs (Czech Republic -> Czech), and jp -> ja (Japan ->
Japanese) since those country codes don't conflict with any language codes
(yet); but we _don't_ have eg my -> ms (Malaysia -> Malay) because 'my' is
already reserved for Burmese. Unless there's some reason to expect
that people would try 'pd', I'm reluctant to use it up on general
principle.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)