intuitive. If other languages want the same functionality, prefixes like
"SeitenHistorie","BenutzerBeitraege" and "LinksAuf" can be easily added
(i.e. local equivalents).

Note that if we change the functionality of [[Special:]], things like
[[Special:MovePage->nul|Click here]] also become possible unless we
specifically forbid them.

Regards,

Erik
Re: 3 new InterWiki prefixes [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:

>I have added
>*PageHistory
>*UserContributions
>*BackLinks
>InterWiki prefixes,

Nice, those should be useful.

>As you might expect, these InterWiki links point to en:. I pondered
>picking a name like EnHistory, EnContris etc., but I wanted something
>intuitive. If other languages want the same functionality, prefixes like
>"SeitenHistorie","BenutzerBeitraege" and "LinksAuf" can be easily added
>(i.e. local equivalents).

And what if two different languages translate these the same way?
OK, that's not very likely with such long terms as these examples,
but I could imagine that "BackLinks" is the same in [[hr:]] and [[bs:]].
Generally speaking, I don't think that such differences should be assumed.
Would namespaces like [[PageHistory:]], [[PageHistory talk:]], etc work?
(Those are also more in keeping with the functions of the links,
since they're not literally InterWiki.)

-- Toby
Re: 3 new InterWiki prefixes [ In reply to ]
Toby-

> And what if two different languages translate these the same way?

Find a different name :-)

> OK, that's not very likely with such long terms as these examples,
> but I could imagine that "BackLinks" is the same in [[hr:]] and [[bs:]].
> Generally speaking, I don't think that such differences should be assumed.

They shouldn't. The proper way is to fix the Special namespace. This was
just a quick hack.

Regards,

Erik
Re: 3 new InterWiki prefixes [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:

>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>And what if two different languages translate these the same way?
>>OK, that's not very likely with such long terms as these examples,
>>but I could imagine that "BackLinks" is the same in [[hr:]] and [[bs:]].
>>Generally speaking, I don't think that such differences should be assumed.

>They shouldn't. The proper way is to fix the Special namespace. This was
>just a quick hack.

Very well.

If it *is* possible to do with namespaces instead of interwiki links --
and just as easily for purposes of a quick hack --
then I'd suggest doing it with namespaces in the future,
just in case one of these tricks ends up not being temporary.
(Sometimes these things drag on, you know ... ^_^.)
But you're the one that knows if it's just as easy,
so I will accept whatever you do!

(I'm not asking that you undo what you've done already!)

-- Toby