Mailing List Archive

Re: Unicode and polices...Have you tried this?
Hi,

I just got a new computer with Windows XP. I, also, was wondering where
the old "Input Methods" for foreign languages were.
If you run IE6 and right click on any web page, you will get a drop down
menu with "encoding" as an entry. Follow the arrow to a long list of encodings.
In my case, I chose Japanese and it was installed on demand, in under a
minute. Then I left "Encoding" set to "Autoselect."
If you are aware of this already, apologies...

As Ever,

Ruth Ifcher

RE: Unicode and polices...Have you tried this? [ In reply to ]
>> If you run IE6 and right click on any web page, you will get a drop
down menu with "encoding" as an entry. Follow the arrow to a long list
of encodings. In my case, I chose Japanese and it was installed on
demand, in under a minute. Then I left "Encoding" set to "Autoselect."
<<

I tried this but it did not work for me. I remember that when I
installed XP and then ran the 'Windows Update' wizard I clicked 'Remove'
for all foreign language packages (a little short sighted, looking
back). Maybe this explains why. Could not find how to undo this.

There is also a "Enable Install On Demand (Explorer)" checkbox in
Explorer -> Options -> Advanced. (unchecked by default, or because of my
actions above). Enabling this did not help me either.

Finally I found a link in the Wikipedia to "Alan Wood's Unicode
Resources": "http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/ Lots of info and useful
links there.

He tells that Microsoft has some very complete TrueType fonts. They are
only shipped with MS Office. I copied the Arial unicode font
(Arialuni.ttf, 24 Mb) from another machine running Office and all was
well.

Erik Zachte