From: tfoote@bomis.com
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:54:47 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jimmy Wales <jwales@joey.bomis.com>
Subject: A MUST see

You have got to see this now:

http://www.asksnoop.com/shizz_frame.php

----- End forwarded message -----
Re: [tfoote@bomis.com: A MUST see] [ In reply to ]
Jimmy Wales wrote:
> A friend forwarded me this humor page, and I tried to use
> it with http://www.wikipedia.org, with the very surprising
> result that it returned the "Index of /" from wikipedia, rather
> than the Snoop-Dogg lingo translation of the page.
>
> Probably this is evidence of something we've done wrong?

Well, it works only on www.wikipedia.org, de.wikipedia.org blocks. Seems
to be a missing config line on the new server la^H^Hen-Server.

Possibly: DirectoryIndex

Smurf
--
--- Anthill Inside! ---
Re: [tfoote@bomis.com: A MUST see] [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 23 May 2003, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 03:39:03 -0700
> From: Jimmy Wales <jwales@bomis.com>
> Subject: [Wikitech-l] [tfoote@bomis.com: A MUST see]
>
> A friend forwarded me this humor page, and I tried to use
> it with http://www.wikipedia.org, with the very surprising
> result that it returned the "Index of /" from wikipedia, rather
> than the Snoop-Dogg lingo translation of the page.
>
> Probably this is evidence of something we've done wrong?
>
> ----- Forwarded message from tfoote@bomis.com -----
>
> From: tfoote@bomis.com
> Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:54:47 -0700 (PDT)
> To: Jimmy Wales <jwales@joey.bomis.com>
> Subject: A MUST see
>
> You have got to see this now:
>
> http://www.asksnoop.com/shizz_frame.php
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----

I've noticed that kind of behaviour a few weeks ago, when I was trying to
wget something, so it's not just something overlooked in setting up the
new server, most likely. At the time, I assumed it was either because I
didn't bother to do the cookie setup with wget, or it was set to reject
some User-Agent:s to keep the bots and such out. Of course, it could be
just a coincidence and have nothing to do with what was happening with me,
AND I could just be plain wrong about what was going on for me.

--
John R. Owens http://www.ghiapet.homeip.net/
Londo Mollari: It is good to have friends, is it not, Mr. Garibaldi? Even
Re: [tfoote@bomis.com: A MUST see] [ In reply to ]
Je Vendredo 23 Majo 2003 05:09, John R. Owens skribis:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> > A friend forwarded me this humor page, and I tried to use
> > it with http://www.wikipedia.org, with the very surprising
> > result that it returned the "Index of /" from wikipedia, rather
> > than the Snoop-Dogg lingo translation of the page.
> >
> > Probably this is evidence of something we've done wrong?

It's a bug on their part, but we should be treating it slightly
differently, ie *not* by returning a directory index. :)

If I put in "http://www.wikipedia.org" it makes these requests:
GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0
GET // HTTP/1.0 "
(note the double slash)

"http://www.wikipedia.org/":
GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0
GET /// HTTP/1.0
(triple slash!!)

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/":
GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0
GET /wiki/// HTTP/1.0
GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0
GET /style// HTTP/1.0
(seems it just puts double slashes on the end of everything. not sure
why it's asking for /style as a directory...)

"http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page":
GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0
GET /wiki/Main_Page//
GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0
GET /style// HTTP/1.0

> I've noticed that kind of behaviour a few weeks ago, when I was
> trying to wget something, so it's not just something overlooked in
> setting up the new server, most likely. At the time, I assumed it was
> either because I didn't bother to do the cookie setup with wget, or
> it was set to reject some User-Agent:s to keep the bots and such out.

It should give you a 403 rejected response for wget. (If you really need
to use wget to fetch _single_ files, use the --user-agent option. This
is to discourage recursive fetches of the entire site.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: [tfoote@bomis.com: A MUST see] [ In reply to ]
Jimmy Wales wrote:

>A friend forwarded me this humor page, and I tried to use
>it with http://www.wikipedia.org, with the very surprising
>result that it returned the "Index of /" from wikipedia, rather
>than the Snoop-Dogg lingo translation of the page.

It works for me today (presumably after Brion changed something).

"''yo' ass can edit any article right now''."
True dat! ^_^

But it can't follow links to other articles,
thanks to its double-slash bug.

-- Toby
Re: [tfoote@bomis.com: A MUST see] [ In reply to ]