I'm going to see if I can get SpamAssassin set up to cull some of the
more wretchedly obvious stuff out before it gets to mailman.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: SpamAssassin [ In reply to ]
I have a better suggestion -- upgrade to the most recent version of
mailman.

The new version of mailman has an option to automatically discard any
message that's from someone who isn't subscribed to the list. It
still sends them a message explaining the problem, but the admin
doesn't have to see it.

In my experience on another whole set of lists that I manage, this
works wonderfully. The amount of spam that admins have to deal with
goes to an absolute zero.

Re: SpamAssassin [ In reply to ]
On 5/21/03 9:04 AM, "Jimmy Wales" <jwales@bomis.com> wrote:

> I have a better suggestion -- upgrade to the most recent version of
> mailman.

bulletin board....
Re: SpamAssassin [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote in

> Some of the mailing lists are getting, and their admins regularly
> rejecting, a fair amount of spam.
>
> I'm going to see if I can get SpamAssassin set up to cull some of the
> more wretchedly obvious stuff out before it gets to mailman.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

I am list admin of Wikitech-l and Intlwiki-l.
Since the removal of the @nupedia.com forwards my lits do not recieve a lot
of spam anymore.

Mostly there are to types of postings;

- a list member who has used a emailadres where he is not subcribed whit.
action: approve posting and inform the user that he used the wrong email
adres and add that emailadres to the list of allowed posters.

- a non-list member who wants to ask something.
action: until now I approve it and send the poster a email to inform them
how to subcribe.

Problem; if the do not subcribe the do not recieve a responds. I think
posters only wants to ask something and not understand the idea of a
mailing list.

Is it better to reject the posting and inform them the have to subcribe?
The can see it like a insult if you reject.

The posting can come from a non-wikipedian who only wants to send a email
to "wikipedia".

So far a know only the german and dutch wikipedia has a emailadres where
visitors can send a question to.

--
Contact: giskart AT wikipedia.be
Ook een artikeltje schrijven? WikipediaNL, de vrije GNU/FDL encyclopedie
Re: Re: SpamAssassin [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 21 May 2003, Giskart wrote:

> Mostly there are to types of postings;
>
> - a list member who has used a emailadres where he is not subcribed whit.
> action: approve posting and inform the user that he used the wrong email
> adres and add that emailadres to the list of allowed posters.
>
> - a non-list member who wants to ask something.
> action: until now I approve it and send the poster a email to inform them
> how to subcribe.
>
> Problem; if the do not subcribe the do not recieve a responds. I think
> posters only wants to ask something and not understand the idea of a
> mailing list.
>
> Is it better to reject the posting and inform them the have to subcribe?
> The can see it like a insult if you reject.

I think it would be a valid way of acting to just post to the list - the
archives are publicly available, so someone could in theory send their
mail, and read the answers that way. I don't know whether anyone actually
does it, but the possibility exists.

Andre Engels
Re: Re: SpamAssassin [ In reply to ]
Andre Engels <engels@uni-koblenz.de> wrote in

> I think it would be a valid way of acting to just post to the list -
> the archives are publicly available, so someone could in theory send
> their mail, and read the answers that way. I don't know whether anyone
> actually does it, but the possibility exists.
>
> Andre Engels

I think a lot of people do that, read from the archive. But if a poster
does not understand that you have to subcribe to the list to post I do not
think he will find the list archives.

--
Contact: giskart AT wikipedia.be