Mailing List Archive

Ancient pages
In CVS:

A list of all pages, ascending by date. This should give all those who
crave for more copyediting a new addiction, as old pages are frequently in
need of work.

Implementation is a simple query on CUR. I am not sure about the index
use. EXPLAIN tells me the following:

EXPLAIN SELECT cur_title, cur_user, cur_user_text, cur_comment,
cur_timestamp
FROM cur
WHERE cur_namespace = 0 AND cur_is_redirect = 0
ORDER BY cur_timestamp
LIMIT 0 , 50

-->

table:cur
type:ref
possible_keys:cur_namespace,name_title_timestamp
key:name_title_timestamp
rows:14810 (German DB)
Extra:Using where; Using filesort

It seems reasonably fast, but the "Using filesort" still bugs me. To get
rid of that, I think we would have to create a combined namespace/redir/
timestamp index. Thoughts?

Regards,

Erik
Re: Ancient pages [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 20 May 2003, Erik Moeller wrote:
> A list of all pages, ascending by date. This should give all those who
> crave for more copyediting a new addiction, as old pages are frequently in
> need of work.

Now on test.wikipedia.org.

> It seems reasonably fast, but the "Using filesort" still bugs me. To get
> rid of that, I think we would have to create a combined namespace/redir/
> timestamp index.

Yes, that ought to help...

> Thoughts?

I'm not sure of the real usefulness of this page; it's going to be
dominated for a long time by the work of "conversion script". But it could
be fun at least! :)

Also, I think it's high time we have a common function to handle
validating the $limit and $offset parameters on the various specials.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)