case we have any trouble with this one.

--
"Jason C. Richey" <jasonr@bomis.com>
Re: serial [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 11 May 2003, Jason Richey wrote:

> Okay. I recompiled the kernel on Pliny. I included support for a
> serial console (null modem connected to ttyS0 on Larousse). I can get
> a login prompt using the serial console, but authentication is failing
> for some reason. I am using agetty, which I don't know anything about

This probably has to do with agetty not being listed in the PAM configuration,
so it can't access password hashes.

I haven't fiddled with PAM on GNU/Linux, but look in /etc/pam.d or something.

-- Daniel
Re: serial [ In reply to ]
Ahh... A little more looking revealed that I just couldn't log in as
root because the serial port wasn't listed in /etc/securetty.

Jason