Mailing List Archive

Mail server box - since Jason is going to San Diego anyway...
Jason wrote:
>I'll be able to make the trip to San Diego on Friday.

>The server should be ready to use (ssh-able for all
>people with accounts on the current server) on
Saturday.

It might be more trouble than it is worth, but do you
want me to send you the AMD 500 Linux box I have it
serve as the new mail server? If you can use it I'm
more than happy to send it but if another solution is
easier/makes more sense (like having Lee's ISP host
WikiTech-L) then I'm cool with that too.

I don't want to force hardware on anybody - all I want
is for the developers to be able to talk to each other
via a mailing list when the Wikipedia server is down.

--Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

http://search.yahoo.com
Re: Mail server box - since Jason is going to San Diego anyway... [ In reply to ]
I am confident that we can find a place for the mailing lists on one
of our current servers...

A tower style case wouldn't do well in our cage, since we don't have
much room left. I haven't spoken to Jimbo yet, but I think we
probably have an idea in mind that will work out okay.

We do appreciate the offer, though.

Jason

"Jason C. Richey" <jasonr@bomis.com>
Re: Mail server box - since Jason is going to San Diego anyway... [ In reply to ]
> (Jason Richey <jasonr@bomis.com>):
>
> I am confident that we can find a place for the mailing lists on one
> of our current servers...
>
> A tower style case wouldn't do well in our cage, since we don't have
> much room left. I haven't spoken to Jimbo yet, but I think we
> probably have an idea in mind that will work out okay.
>
> We do appreciate the offer, though.

I'd just like to make it clear that Mav's offer of my server is
not unilateral on his part--my rackspace is yours, too, such as it
is. But if you're well-supplied, that's fine. I don't think the risk
of all your servers being down at once is significant. When San Diego
falls into the ocean after the big one, we'll have bigger problems
than Wikipedia. :-)

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,