Any suggestions?

--
"Jason C. Richey" <jasonr@bomis.com>
Re: server names [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 11:19:10AM -0700, Jason Richey wrote:
> I can barely stand to refer to the current wiki server as "the current
> wiki server", and I don't even know how I'll refer to the new server.
> I'd like to give the servers official names, just so I can refer to
> them in a single word.
>
> Any suggestions?

How about "sweat" and "tears", or "pain" and "agony"? ;)

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: server names [ In reply to ]
Jason Richey wrote:
> I can barely stand to refer to the current wiki server as "the current
> wiki server", and I don't even know how I'll refer to the new server.
> I'd like to give the servers official names, just so I can refer to
> them in a single word.

I propose db.wikipedia.org for the backend and some system like
www1.wikipedia.org for the frontend (web) server. These are internal
names, not for the public, because of course the public doesn't care
about that.

In this way, when we add more frontend machines (inevitable) and a
loadbalancing system, we will have a good naming scheme, www2, www3
and so on.
Re: server names [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 11:36:27AM -0700, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Jason Richey wrote:
> > I can barely stand to refer to the current wiki server as "the current
> > wiki server", and I don't even know how I'll refer to the new server.
> > I'd like to give the servers official names, just so I can refer to
> > them in a single word.
>
> I propose db.wikipedia.org for the backend and some system like
> www1.wikipedia.org for the frontend (web) server. These are internal
> names, not for the public, because of course the public doesn't care
> about that.
>
> In this way, when we add more frontend machines (inevitable) and a
> loadbalancing system, we will have a good naming scheme, www2, www3
> and so on.

But these names are sooo boring ;-)
And they don't follow RFC 1178.
Re: server names [ In reply to ]
Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> But these names are sooo boring ;-)
> And they don't follow RFC 1178.

You're right, and I retract my suggestion completely if someone comes
up with something more fun and standards-compliant! :-)

Famous encyclopedists?

Pliny, Vincent of Beavais, Denis Diderot, Jimbo? (ha ha)

Or, how about, for an infinite supply of names, we use various
incarnations of Lir

Lir, Adam, Bridget, Vera Cruz, Ril, etc., etc., etc., etc.!!!

--Jimbo
Re: server names [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 12:14:35PM -0700, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > But these names are sooo boring ;-)
> > And they don't follow RFC 1178.
>
> You're right, and I retract my suggestion completely if someone comes
> up with something more fun and standards-compliant! :-)
>
> Famous encyclopedists?
>
> Pliny, Vincent of Beavais, Denis Diderot, Jimbo? (ha ha)
>
> Or, how about, for an infinite supply of names, we use various
> incarnations of Lir
>
> Lir, Adam, Bridget, Vera Cruz, Ril, etc., etc., etc., etc.!!!

"helga" would be a wonderful name, don't you think ? ;)
Re: server names [ In reply to ]
> (Jimmy Wales <jwales@bomis.com>):
>
> You're right, and I retract my suggestion completely if someone comes
> up with something more fun and standards-compliant! :-)
> Famous encyclopedists?
>
> Pliny, Vincent of Beavais, Denis Diderot, Jimbo? (ha ha)

...don't forget Mortimer Adler. Besides, having a server named
mortimer is about as nerdy as it's possible to get.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,
Re: server names [ In reply to ]
Jimmy Wales wrote:

> In this way, when we add more frontend machines (inevitable) and a
> loadbalancing system, we will have a good naming scheme, www2, www3
> and so on.

And for the mailserver (mailinglists) e.g. mail.

Have you enought IP - Addresses to give the mail-service it's own?
Then you can add an additional IP to one of the servers. If somethink goes
wrong, only move the IP Address to get the service running on the other
machine. You can also have a mailinglist service preinstalled on the second
machine.

Smurf
--
------------------------- Anthill inside! ---------------------------
Re: server names [ In reply to ]
How about Yin and Yang? Or chaos and opportunity?

-- mav
Re: Re: server names [ In reply to ]
I propose "Thot" the egyptian god of knowledge or "Ptah" the god of
artisans.

Aoineko
Re: Re: server names [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:07:10 +0900, Guillaume Blanchard
<gblanchard@arcsy.co.jp> gave utterance to the following:

> I propose "Thot" the egyptian god of knowledge or "Ptah" the god of
> artisans.

Or if the second server is really really really big it could be "Deep Thot"
:-) (SCNR)