-- Tim Starling.

Hotmail now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_mobile.asp
Re: Search feature not working [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 17:20, Tim Starling wrote:
> At the moment, all the search feature does is tells you there are no title
> matches (regardless of what you search for), and directs you to a Google
> search. The go button still works, so at the moment "go" is the only way to
> do a title search. I had assumed the dev. team has this under control and I
> worked around it, but I've had a new user (Susurrus) complain directly to
> me, asking me to forward his complaint on to here. So here it is. I know
> about "miser mode", but this isn't miser mode, it's nonexistent mode. What's
> going on?

I've just gone ahead and turned the title search back on. I mean, heck,
who wants to actually be able to read or write anything on the wiki?
Much better to be able to search it -- _if_ you're lucky enough to get
through at all.

Hooray!

If it starts to suck too much (which it likely will come morning), I'll
disable it again.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Search feature not working [ In reply to ]
>From: Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com>
>On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 17:20, Tim Starling wrote:
> > At the moment, all the search feature does is tells you there are no
>title
> > matches (regardless of what you search for), and directs you to a Google
> > search. The go button still works, so at the moment "go" is the only way
> > do a title search. I had assumed the dev. team has this under control
>and I
> > worked around it, but I've had a new user (Susurrus) complain directly
> > me, asking me to forward his complaint on to here. So here it is. I know
> > about "miser mode", but this isn't miser mode, it's nonexistent mode.
>What's
> > going on?
>
>I've just gone ahead and turned the title search back on. I mean, heck,
>who wants to actually be able to read or write anything on the wiki?
>Much better to be able to search it -- _if_ you're lucky enough to get
>through at all.
>
>Hooray!
>
>If it starts to suck too much (which it likely will come morning), I'll
>disable it again.

Nothing that a few boxes full of high-end computer hardware wouldn't fix.
When's that new server coming? Do we have any idea how much difference it
will make?

Re: Search feature not working [ In reply to ]
> On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 17:20, Tim Starling wrote:
>> At the moment, all the search feature does is tells you there are no title
>> matches (regardless of what you search for), and directs you to a Google
>> search. The go button still works, so at the moment "go" is the only way to
>> do a title search. I had assumed the dev. team has this under control and I
>> worked around it, but I've had a new user (Susurrus) complain directly to
>> me, asking me to forward his complaint on to here. So here it is. I know
>> about "miser mode", but this isn't miser mode, it's nonexistent mode.
>> What's going on?

> I've just gone ahead and turned the title search back on. I mean, heck,
> who wants to actually be able to read or write anything on the wiki?
> Much better to be able to search it -- _if_ you're lucky enough to get
> through at all.

As I wrote you by private mail, I think people would be much more willing
to accept a temporary deactivation of the sysop SQL feature, which, if at
all, should be run on a separate machine (possibly a mirror, could really
be 1-2 days out of date).

As for the search itself, I would like to know *why* it is slow. A simple
title search should really cause no problems. Could it be that the search
is delayed by other factors? How fast is it when it is run without load?

Regards,

Erik
Re: Search feature not working [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 03:30, Erik Moeller wrote:
> As I wrote you by private mail, I think people would be much more willing
> to accept a temporary deactivation of the sysop SQL feature, which, if at
> all, should be run on a separate machine (possibly a mirror, could really
> be 1-2 days out of date).

I have only very rarely seen slowdowns caused by sysops making SQL
queries, whereas the special pages and the search cause much more
continuous states of slowness as they are constantly pounded on.

> As for the search itself, I would like to know *why* it is slow. A simple
> title search should really cause no problems.

Becuase they don't happen in isolation; there are a lot of searches.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Search feature not working [ In reply to ]
> On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 03:30, Erik Moeller wrote:
>> As I wrote you by private mail, I think people would be much more willing
>> to accept a temporary deactivation of the sysop SQL feature, which, if at
>> all, should be run on a separate machine (possibly a mirror, could really
>> be 1-2 days out of date).

> I have only very rarely seen slowdowns caused by sysops making SQL
> queries, whereas the special pages and the search cause much more
> continuous states of slowness as they are constantly pounded on.

Yes, you are correct, they are very rare. But if they occur, they will
effectively slow down all other queries for the time they run. Because of
the risk that such an out of control query can slow us down for hours, I
think there's really no argument that can be made for keeping them active,
unless we implement a timeout (which would mean you or Lee, because I
frankly never cared much about the SQL feature). That doesn't mean that we
should not consider other options for speedings things up as well
(although I agree that the server situation needs to improve in any case).

Regards,

Erik