Mailing List Archive

Code cleanup
Now that the test suite is mostly working (I still need to fill in
some things like testing the Math functions), I'm emboldened to do
some code cleanup.

One of the first things I'd like to do is simplify the installation
and update procedures, for the same reason as having the test suite:
it will make it faster to make and test changes, and easier to
maintain the multiple installations.

Some questions first:

- Is there any reason to retain the Phase II conversion scripts?
Do there exist any Phase II installations anymore that might need
to be converted, or can I safely arcive those off somewhere?

- I'd like to have a nice separation between the source tree and
the installation set, with scripts for installs and updates and
maintenance. Should the maintenance scripts be "installed"
somewhere as well, or should they be run from the source tree?
I'm inclined toward the latter, so that dangerous functions don't
get accidentally exposed as web pages, but perhaps they should be?

- Brion, are there any temporary measures you have taken on the
existing wikis in which some configuration option is not isolated
in LocalSettings.php? I'd like to arrange it so that we'll be
able to grab the latest source from CVS, and just run an update
script on any of the wikis which will look in the target
directory's LocalSettings for everything it needs and update all
the rest of the code properly. If there are other changes that
might complicate that, let me know and I'll put them into
LocalSettings.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,
Re: Code cleanup [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 11:37, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
> - Is there any reason to retain the Phase II conversion scripts?
> Do there exist any Phase II installations anymore that might need
> to be converted, or can I safely arcive those off somewhere?

As far as I know, Enciclopedia Libre is the only remaining phase II
installation. They are planning a phase 3 upgrade, but haven't done it
yet.

That conversion script is also out of date, though, and would probably
need fixing up to use it.

> - I'd like to have a nice separation between the source tree and
> the installation set, with scripts for installs and updates and
> maintenance. Should the maintenance scripts be "installed"
> somewhere as well, or should they be run from the source tree?
> I'm inclined toward the latter, so that dangerous functions don't
> get accidentally exposed as web pages, but perhaps they should be?

I prefer to keep a separate copy of the source tree which is not
web-exposed, and run maintenance scripts from there via the command
line. This may not be suitable for 3rd-party hosting.

> - Brion, are there any temporary measures you have taken on the
> existing wikis in which some configuration option is not isolated
> in LocalSettings.php?

English wiki has some tweaks to SearchEngine.php, Skin.php,
UpdateViewCount.php. Chinese and meta have some tweaks to the style
sheets. Other than that, I think they're all standard.

(Excepting Wiktionary, which needs various updates. The language files
still need to get generalized for names etc.)

> I'd like to arrange it so that we'll be
> able to grab the latest source from CVS, and just run an update
> script on any of the wikis which will look in the target
> directory's LocalSettings for everything it needs and update all
> the rest of the code properly. If there are other changes that
> might complicate that, let me know and I'll put them into
> LocalSettings.

Hmm. Remember that updates often involve tweaks to the database
(patch-*.sql).

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)