I've installed the latest security fix packages for sendmail, yet again.
Any thoughts on switching to postfix or such?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: YASU (Yet Another Sendmail Upgrade) [ In reply to ]
> (Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com>):
> I've installed the latest security fix packages for sendmail, yet again.
> Any thoughts on switching to postfix or such?
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

I installed qmail on Piclab, I like it, and I'm willing to do that
on the Wikipedia server--but there are some catches:

- I'm not really much of a sysadmin; I'm a programmer. I can install
software, and bumble through routine maintenance, but most maintenance
will still fall on Jason, so his comfort level with the software is
important.

- The mailing lists all use mailman, and I've never installed
mailman over qmail (Piclab uses ezmlm).

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,
Re: YASU (Yet Another Sendmail Upgrade) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 01:39:35PM -0600, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
> > (Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com>):
> > I've installed the latest security fix packages for sendmail, yet again.
> > Any thoughts on switching to postfix or such?
> >
> > -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
>
> I installed qmail on Piclab, I like it, and I'm willing to do that
> on the Wikipedia server--but there are some catches:
>
> - I'm not really much of a sysadmin; I'm a programmer. I can install
> software, and bumble through routine maintenance, but most maintenance
> will still fall on Jason, so his comfort level with the software is
> important.
>
> - The mailing lists all use mailman, and I've never installed
> mailman over qmail (Piclab uses ezmlm).

I'm using postfix for my mail services, it seems to work peachy keen.
Two thumbs up from me. :)

--
Nick Reinking -- eschewing obfuscation since 1981 -- Minneapolis, MN
Re: YASU (Yet Another Sendmail Upgrade) [ In reply to ]
Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:

> - I'm not really much of a sysadmin; I'm a programmer. I can install
> software, and bumble through routine maintenance, but most maintenance
> will still fall on Jason, so his comfort level with the software is
> important.

Maintenance? What's that? :) Honestly, I am against any mail software
that is going to require routine maintenance, unless you mean security
updates. Has Sendmail really been that bothersome?

> - The mailing lists all use mailman, and I've never installed
> mailman over qmail (Piclab uses ezmlm).

I don't know how mailman handles it's outgoing mail (blast my
ignorance), but it receives incoming mail by alieasing the address as
"| mailman-wrapper listname". I assume that most mail delivery agents
are capable of such a thing. Really, I guess mailman could continue
to use sendmail for outgoing mail (assuming it uses it now).

---
"Jason C. Richey" <jasonr@bomis.com>