Mailing List Archive

What's up with Wiktionary?
Greetings!

What's up with Wiktionary?

I've been reading the Talk pages and
there's an awful lot of complaining and
whining. First, about the Interlingua
entries. I need a large file type of list
that I can work from to add entries.
They are moving to the index section.
They can be deleted when I'm done
the bulk of entering the multilingual
info I have.

Now, please don't misunderstand me...
I'm willing to follow protocols and
learn the wiki-ways. Plus whatever
conventions can be made clear I'll
willingly follow.

But...

Someone complained about my French,
ehem ehem, not my swearing mind you,
my use of French, in that it isn't proper
enough, and not accurate enough. Well
all I can say is that I'm not a native
French speaker, my French High School
teacher learned it in Algiers and it's been
years since I had a fluent conversation in
it for more than five minutes. I do what
I can. My German is rotten also, but
I do what I can. When I don't know
I either leave it blank or put in the English
as a marker for me to look up that word
later. Again, the index entries are there
to help me enter in new info into the main
Wiktionary... similarly with Wikipedia
articles. Two windows open, cut and
paste the look ups, edit here and there,
etc.

Now I'm getting requests to "slow down"
how un-wiki is that???

Then about the use of HTML tags, well,
frankly, the "list" tags in the Wiktionary
are all HTML, my additions are usually
a mixture of both HTML and wiki-coding.
I find it more assuring to write <BR> than
to let the parser put a line where it thinks
it should. Same for <P> and for <HR>
the ---- is sometimes good sometimes
not clear enough for me. These are basic
HTML tags that shouldn't scare anyone.
If tables are a problem, I've only put these
in the Wikipedia Homepage for Interlingua
and Volapuk and in a couple of wikipedia
entries where everything needed a certain
layout, like the table of HTML and ASCII
codes in the Interlingua Wikipedia.

Now my questions regarding the Wiktionary
are:

Is there a set way of entering the info?

Is there an entity that can decide this once
and for all?

Is it possible to have foreign language
appendixes on the English Wiktionary?

Or...

Is there a possibility that a namespace
will happen anytime soon for other languages?
(There's even complaints that "this is an English
dictionary, isn't it!!!" Well, maybe so but I thought
it was also a multilingual dictionary, and that's where
I'm interested in helping out).

So those are the issues and I welcome
any insights or clues you can pass my way.

Cheers,
Jay B.