In the normal HTML, our å is written å ä is written ä and ö is written ö. Is this the present configuration in the php script, or does our strange letters confuse people so much that they change them since they look like errors in their point of view?
Dan Koehl
ICQ#: 4046787
Re: Swedish umlaut ?, [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:05:46PM +0100, Dan Koehl wrote:
> I have noticed that some people from other wikipedias change our swedish ? on the Swedish Wikipedia, when they make language links. I have thought about why, and I suppose its because they see something different than we do.
>
> In the normal HTML, our ? is written å ä is written ä and ö is written ö. Is this the present configuration in the php script, or does our strange letters confuse people so much that they change them since they look like errors in their point of view?

It's not that they do that. This may be automatically done by their browser.

BTW, we should add proper html's http-equiv meta Content-Type for charset
to all wiki pages, so that page saved to disk has charset information too.
Re: Swedish umlaut å, ä, and ö. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Dan Koehl wrote:

> I have noticed that some people from other wikipedias change our swedish å on the Swedish Wikipedia, when they make language links. I have thought about why, and I suppose its because they see something different than we do.
>
> In the normal HTML, our å is written å ä is written ä and ö is written ö. Is this the present configuration in the php script, or does our strange letters confuse people so much that they change them since they look like errors in their point of view?

In what way are they changed?

The most likely explanation seems to me that it is a problem of the browser.
I know from my own browser that when I go to edit a page, some non-standard
signs are being changed into question marks by the editor. Perhaps the å is
one of those for some people?

Regarding your question about the PHP-script: No, the PHP-script leaves the
å as it is.

Possible solutions:
* Notify those users for who this happens
* Replace å by å

Andre Engels
Re: Swedish umlaut ?, [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:05:46PM +0100, Dan Koehl wrote:
> > I have noticed that some people from other wikipedias change our swedish ? on the Swedish Wikipedia, when they make language links. I have thought about why, and I suppose its because they see something different than we do.
> >
> > In the normal HTML, our ? is written å ä is written ä and ö is written ö. Is this the present configuration in the php script, or does our strange letters confuse people so much that they change them since they look like errors in their point of view?
>
> It's not that they do that. This may be automatically done by their browser.

And by Tomasz's email program too...

Andre