Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: Bandwidth and anon ips
Brion Vibber wrote:

>On dim, 2003-02-16 at 20:11, s wrote:
>

>>Would it make sense, as I've been experiencing bandwidth limitations, on
>>occasion, (assuming the problem may be general) to limit, by some ratio, the
>>server request speed to anon users, and thereby allowing logged in users
>>some degree of greater access?
>>

>I'm afraid there's not much we can do about your bandwidth limitations;
>that's between you and your ISP.
>
>(No, actually there is -- we could compress sent pages. I'll consider
>trying this in the future, once apache/php are reinstalled with gzip
>support built in. However this will use some cpu power, and I don't know
>how this will affect server speed at this point.)
>
>-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Both CPUs are typically running about 75% busy at the moment. (50% user,
25% system), and quite often intermittently peaking to 100%.

However, system performance is nice and smooth nearly all the time, so
the worst database bottlenecks appear to have been ironed out.

When the system moves to separate machines for the database and
webserver, the load should fall dramatically: that might be the right
time to enable gzipping.

Neil