Mailing List Archive

Installing current CVS snapshot: writing articles doesn't work?
Hi everyone,

I am quite new to Wikipedia and wanted to set up a testing server for
our student organisation using the PHP script. I know some PHP and
MySQL, but don't have experiance with a CVS.

To get a snapshot of the project I used the command "cvs -d
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.wikipedia.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/wikipedia
checkout phpwiki/newcodebase" as stated here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3APhase_III_Software (at the
bottom of the page).

After uploading everything on the server and adjusting LocalSettings.php
I copied all the files of the maintenance dir to the others and ran
createdb.php. Everything seemed to work fine and the tables were
installed. I tried to edit the Startpage and got the following error
message:

"A database query syntax error has occurred. This could be because of an
illegal search query (see Searching Wikipedia), or it may indicate a bug
in the software. The last attempted database query was:

INSERT INTO cur
(cur_namespace,cur_title,cur_text,cur_comment,cur_user,cur_timestamp,cur_minor_edit,cur_counter,cur_restrictions,cur_user_text,cur_is_redirect,cur_is_new,cur_random,inverse_timestamp)
VALUES (0,'Hauptseite', 'test', '', '0', '20030217212253', 0, 0, '',
'192.168.68.1', 0, 1, RAND(), '79969782787746')

from within function "Article::insertNewArticle". MySQL returned error
"1054: Unknown column 'cur_random' in 'field list'"."

After checking the tables I found out that the row cur_random does not
exist. I checked the buildtables.inc in the maintenance dir and found
out that there is no cur_random field set up during db creation.

Is it possible to download a kind of stable version of wikipedia via CVS?

Thanks for your help

Thomas
PS: The layout looks a little bit weird with Mozilla and I am unable to
access the top items (drop down menu, talk, log in), is that normal?
Re: Installing current CVS snapshot: writing articles doesn't work? [ In reply to ]
On lun, 2003-02-17 at 12:29, Thomas Luft wrote:
> After checking the tables I found out that the row cur_random does not
> exist. I checked the buildtables.inc in the maintenance dir and found
> out that there is no cur_random field set up during db creation.

Mea culpa! Yup, I forgot to update the schema again.

I've updated buildTables.inc in CVS; please update and try it again.
(Or, run patch-random-dateindex.sql over the existing database.)

> Is it possible to download a kind of stable version of wikipedia via CVS?

There is no stable version. ;) Everything's very much under
development, so occasionally it doesn't quite work out of the box.
Someday we'll release stable versions, but until then you gotta work
with it a bit.

> PS: The layout looks a little bit weird with Mozilla and I am unable to
> access the top items (drop down menu, talk, log in), is that normal?

Make sure the stylesheets are installed! Check $wgStyleSheetPath in
LocalSettings.php and make sure the .css files from the 'stylesheets'
subdirectory of the source are copied there.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Installing current CVS snapshot: writing articles doesn't work? [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:
> I've updated buildTables.inc in CVS; please update and try it again.
> (Or, run patch-random-dateindex.sql over the existing database.)

Thanks, that helped a lot!

> There is no stable version. ;) Everything's very much under
> development, so occasionally it doesn't quite work out of the box.
> Someday we'll release stable versions, but until then you gotta work
> with it a bit.

Well, doesn't matter as long as everyone is so fast with fixing bugs :-)

>>PS: The layout looks a little bit weird with Mozilla and I am unable to
>>access the top items (drop down menu, talk, log in), is that normal?
>
> Make sure the stylesheets are installed! Check $wgStyleSheetPath in
> LocalSettings.php and make sure the .css files from the 'stylesheets'
> subdirectory of the source are copied there.

Dooh, I missed that... But thanks that helped. Everything is working
fine now. Maybe you should update LocalSettings.php so that the setting
of $wgStyleSheetPath is set to the path you use to store the stylesheets
(currently "stylsheets"). Makes it more easy for newbies.

Cheers

Thomas
wiki at luto.de