Mailing List Archive

Fixing redirects+disambiguation at the same time
The #REDIRECT syntax is our ugliest, because it stands out and is
confusingly rendered as

1. foo

because # is also our numbering syntax.

The disambiguation pages are badly in need of standardization, as they
all look different. If we ever want to change the disambig text, we need
to do it manually on hundreds of pages.

We can solve both problems with an only slightly improved #REDIRECT
syntax:

Tatra

#REDIRECT [[Tatra mountains]]: a mountain range, part of the Carpathian
Mountains, between Poland and Slovakia.
#REDIRECT [[Tatra (car)]]: car brand from the Czech Republic
--
becomes

Tatra

'''Tatra''' can be used to refer to:

1. [[Tatra mountains]]: a mountain range, part of the ..
2. [[Tatra (car)|Tatra]]: car brand from the Czech Republic

This is a disambiguation page; that is, one that just points to other
pages that might otherwise have the same name. If you followed a link
here, you might want to go back and fix that link to point to the
appropriate specific page.

----

(Note the rightmost parentheses should be auto-removed for aesthetic
reasons.)

As you can see, now our #REDIRECT syntax actually makes sense. If
there's just one #REDIRECT, we just put the user on the respective page.
If there are several, we give him a choice.

I suggest a slightly different syntax to provide a redirect reason:

#REDIRECT [[Tatra mountains]] // namco

Becomes

Redirected to Tatra mountains. Reason: [[Wikipedia:Naming
conventions|naming convention]]

As I suggested earlier, these reasons could be loaded from an array in
the Language.* file, so that we avoid having to standardize these texts
manually.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Erik
--
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Insitute for Open Communication Systems
Project BerliOS - http://www.berlios.de