Mailing List Archive

New ilinks system
Hi,

I really do like the new interlanguage links interface, and hope we can
put it in use ASAP. Some comments:

1) Can you check the code into CVS under a separate tag?

2) The interface is well done. It's a neat idea to have a separate edit
screen for this purpose, since editing interlanguage links and editing
text are reasonably separate. However, we probably want the
ilinks+add/edit links to show up on the edit screen as well.

3) We need to log interlanguage link edits. We can't use RC because of
the different logs involved. So we need an ilinks log similar to RC, and
an individual ilinks history as well as a recent_ilinks type page (which
could be integrated into RC). We need to do this to prevent unnoticed
link vandalism. Being able to roll back changes would be a plus. If we
implement that, we can open ilinks to anons, otherwise I suggest we do
not.

4) I'll probably do some layout edits on the interface. We do need the
ability to add several ilinks at once. I don't know if the nice language
dropdown really gains us speed as it's just too damn full. How about:

Source: [en:Main Page ]

Destination(s), one per line:
[de:Hauptseite ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]

[Do it]

We already have the two language codes and everyone working on one of
those wikis knows them. (Add a link to the list just in case.) Without
the square brackets, there is fairly little typing involved.

5) Once I have the code, I'll probably add "Select all / Select none"
JavaScript buttons to the checkbox lists.

Regards,

Erik
--
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Insitute for Open Communication Systems
Project BerliOS - http://www.berlios.de
Re: New ilinks system [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:

>1) Can you check the code into CVS under a separate tag?

You mean the whole source (SpecialIntl.php, Skin.php, Output.php, as all
these had to be edited) in a different directory?

>2) The interface is well done. It's a neat idea to have a separate edit
>screen for this purpose, since editing interlanguage links and editing
>text are reasonably separate. However, we probably want the
>ilinks+add/edit links to show up on the edit screen as well.

Can do.

>3) We need to log interlanguage link edits. We can't use RC because of
>the different logs involved. So we need an ilinks log similar to RC, and
>an individual ilinks history as well as a recent_ilinks type page (which
>could be integrated into RC). We need to do this to prevent unnoticed
>link vandalism. Being able to roll back changes would be a plus. If we
>implement that, we can open ilinks to anons, otherwise I suggest we do
>not.

Yes, I thought of that too. We just needed to be able to make changes to
record first :-)
Another thought of mine was to disallow anons the editing of ilinks (not
because it is currently broken for anons anyway!), because deleting or
adding crap might be too tempting.

>4) I'll probably do some layout edits on the interface. We do need the
>ability to add several ilinks at once. I don't know if the nice language
>dropdown really gains us speed as it's just too damn full.

That's because there are a zillion languages in that list we don't have
a wikipedia for (yet!). This could be reduced to actually existing
'pedias. I can add several lines for that. Language code could also be
set automagically if there's a language code in front of the title (like
"de:Zeug"); otherwise, the dropdown selection is used.

>5) Once I have the code, I'll probably add "Select all / Select none"
>JavaScript buttons to the checkbox lists.

You're welcome :-)

Magnus
Re: New ilinks system [ In reply to ]
On Mit, 2003-02-05 at 11:38, Magnus Manske wrote:
> You mean the whole source (SpecialIntl.php, Skin.php, Output.php, as all
> these had to be edited) in a different directory?

No, a different tag, like Brion did with InnoDB. Just do

>cvs tag -b ilinks

and you'll create a new branch "ilinks" in the repository, based on your
current working copy.

Then you need to switch your working copy to that branch:

>cvs update -r ilinks

When we have finished implementing this, we'll switch back to HEAD and
do

>cvs update -j ilinks
>cvs commit

to merge in the updates. See

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_5.html

for details. Please be sure to check in the database patches to create
the table(s).

> Another thought of mine was to disallow anons the editing of ilinks
> (not because it is currently broken for anons anyway!), because
> deleting or adding crap might be too tempting.

While that already will reduce crap, there are also malicious users who
are harder to get rid of. I do believe we need the log before we launch
this, because otherwise we can't really track if someone vandalizes all
the ilinks on some obscure video game pages.

Doing this properly might take some effort, but a date+user column in
the ilinks table would already help to create a basic log .

> That's because there are a zillion languages in that list we don't have
> a wikipedia for (yet!). This could be reduced to actually existing
> 'pedias. I can add several lines for that.

I don't think we should more or less arbitrarily remove Wikipedias. As I
know from my own wiki, a single dedicated user can quickly boost the
article count. I prefer my suggestion, because it does not favor any
language, and makes adding lots of links very fast. We can also make the
syntax a little nicer, like

[en:Kofi Annan]

[de
[fr
[nl
[zh:mkly@v#¢ip"$ <-- these aren't actual Chinese characters, I know ;)

So when no :foo is specified, the name from the field above is used.

Regards,

Erik