Magnus

P.S.: I posted this to wikitech-l rather than wikipedia-l, as it seems
to be too technical and too alpha for the unwashed masses right now ;-)
Re: Maintain language links, alpha version [ In reply to ]
> On the test wiki, I have created a special page to maintain
> interlanguage links. These are stored in a new database (wiki-intl).
> Please have a look at
> http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special%3AIntl
> and try the examples.

This page doesn't come up for me, nor do the add/edit links on the main
page.

Thanks for working on this, I'm excited to try it out.

Regards,

Erik
Re: Maintain language links, alpha version [ In reply to ]
My idea is create a http://GEN.wikipedia.com subdomain for international use ( gen : general ).

For example, one could see http://gen.wikipedia.com/wiki/Domobot and the web server would transport the user to http://ES.wikipedia.com/wiki/Domobot ( imagining that the user has spanish like default language in the web browswer options).

So, the web writers ( like perhaps you and me ) can include the gen.wikipedia.com link in any page for all the (international ) users.

For this gen page it´s very important the [[lang:]] links ( i.e. [[es:domobots]] indicates that the translation of english domobots in spanish is domobots too ).

If one user creates domobots in the german pages, s/he can add the links automatically to the page ( indicating: add the related links in another languages, in wikipedia ).

In the top of the german page would appear automatically [[en:domobot]] [[es:domobot]] and so on...

Regards.

BTW, I cannot use the "add language link" in the page.

Re: Maintain language links, alpha version [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Magnus Manske wrote:

> On the test wiki, I have created a special page to maintain
> interlanguage links. These are stored in a new database (wiki-intl).
> Please have a look at
> http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special%3AIntl
> and try the examples.
>
> This is an early attempt at best. What will follow (if all of you
> approve the basic concept :-) is a link from each article to the "add"
> and "zoom" pages (see link above). For example, clicking on "Link
> another language" (or something) will bring up the "add a link" page,
> with source title and language filled in.
>
> Then, there should be an option to automagically generate missing
> language backlinks (probably on the "zoom" page).
>

> I called the page "international issues" because I hope that it will
> later hold the interface translation strings, as well as the user database.

Clicking on the links gives the following:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://test.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?

The following error was encountered:

* Zero Sized Reply

Andre Engels
Re: Maintain language links, alpha version [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Andre Engels wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Magnus Manske wrote:
>
> > On the test wiki, I have created a special page to maintain
> > interlanguage links. These are stored in a new database (wiki-intl).
> > Please have a look at
> > http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special%3AIntl
> > and try the examples.
> >
> > This is an early attempt at best. What will follow (if all of you
> > approve the basic concept :-) is a link from each article to the "add"
> > and "zoom" pages (see link above). For example, clicking on "Link
> > another language" (or something) will bring up the "add a link" page,
> > with source title and language filled in.
> >
> > Then, there should be an option to automagically generate missing
> > language backlinks (probably on the "zoom" page).
> >

> > I called the page "international issues" because I hope that it will
> > later hold the interface translation strings, as well as the user database.
>
> Clicking on the links gives the following:
>
> While trying to retrieve the URL: http://test.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?
>
> The following error was encountered:
>
> * Zero Sized Reply

Ah! I found what's going on. The link does not work for anonymous users, but
it does for logged-in users.

Looks good, but there are some changes I would like to be made:

* Do something about the error above - preferably make it work for
anonymous users; if that can't be done, remove the link.
* Allow more than one link to be added to a single page
* Show interlanguage links to existing and non-existing pages differently
from those to existing pages
(might be problematic because it needs information from several databases;
perhaps it's better to check this once a day or so, accepting that it will
sometimes be wrong)
* After a link has been added, don't go to the International issues main
menu, but to the 'edit interlanguage links' page of the original page.
* Add a backlink to the page itself from its 'edit links' page.

Thank you for your work on this!

Andre Engels
Re: Maintain language links, alpha version [ In reply to ]
On mer, 2003-02-05 at 00:25, Andre Engels wrote:
> Ah! I found what's going on. The link does not work for anonymous users, but
> it does for logged-in users.
>
> Looks good, but there are some changes I would like to be made:
>
> * Do something about the error above - preferably make it work for
> anonymous users; if that can't be done, remove the link.

Agreed! It's a little confusing, in that it doesn't come up. :)

> * Allow more than one link to be added to a single page

Yes; often (but not always) the link chain is fairly straightforward,
and a new article on 'Kofi Annan' in language X can be safely linked to
all other languages' 'Kofi Annan' equivalent. The 'Missing links'
function does this, but it's an extra step.

> * Show interlanguage links to existing and non-existing pages differently
> from those to existing pages
> (might be problematic because it needs information from several databases;
> perhaps it's better to check this once a day or so, accepting that it will
> sometimes be wrong)

Shouldn't be too hard to add an 'exists' field to the ilinks table...?

> * After a link has been added, don't go to the International issues main
> menu, but to the 'edit interlanguage links' page of the original page.
> * Add a backlink to the page itself from its 'edit links' page.
>
> Thank you for your work on this!

Yes, go Magnus!!

Also, there are some weirdnesses with charsets. For sanity's sake, I
recommend that *all* data in the ilinks table be UTF-8. On the wikis
that remain in Latin-1 (hisss!), care should be taken to convert
appropriately.

As it is, the functions are a little broken; text input raw as latin1
will stay latin1, while text input with numeric char references turn
into UTF-8. (This is the situation with lang link interpretation at
present; it works under certain circumstances but is ultimately broken.)
The text is then dumped raw in the list-links page, so UTF-8 links will
look wrong on a latin1 wiki and vice-versa. Further, the outgoing UTF-8
links under this new system don't work yet, having gotten
double-converted somehow (so you visit a URL with a latin1-to-utf8
conversion of the UTF-8 bytes).

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Maintain language links, alpha version [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

>On mer, 2003-02-05 at 00:25, Andre Engels wrote:
>

>>Ah! I found what's going on. The link does not work for anonymous users, but
>>it does for logged-in users.
>>
>>Looks good, but there are some changes I would like to be made:
>>
>>* Do something about the error above - preferably make it work for
>> anonymous users; if that can't be done, remove the link.
>>

>Agreed! It's a little confusing, in that it doesn't come up. :)

I'm working on it. Weird thing.

>>* Allow more than one link to be added to a single page
>>

>Yes; often (but not always) the link chain is fairly straightforward,
>and a new article on 'Kofi Annan' in language X can be safely linked to
>all other languages' 'Kofi Annan' equivalent. The 'Missing links'
>function does this, but it's an extra step.

I hot-fixed this by reloading the "add" page for that article after
addition, similar to the user preferences page. I also added a link to
the "interlinked articles" page and to the "source" page, if one was
given. Will this do?
Another gimmick could be "Add this article under the same title to ALL
languages", for the "Kofi Annan" article, but that would, of course, add
lots of non-existing links.

>>* Show interlanguage links to existing and non-existing pages differently
>> from those to existing pages
>> (might be problematic because it needs information from several databases;
>> perhaps it's better to check this once a day or so, accepting that it will
>> sometimes be wrong)
>>

>Shouldn't be too hard to add an 'exists' field to the ilinks table...?

Yes, but that means to hack the "page delete" function as well...
I might just do that!

>>* After a link has been added, don't go to the International issues main
>> menu, but to the 'edit interlanguage links' page of the original page.

Added a link, see above.

>>* Add a backlink to the page itself from its 'edit links' page.

There is a backlink ("involved..."), but it links to the en: site, which
redirects to "www.", which is due to the test site.

>>Thank you for your work on this!
>>

>Yes, go Magnus!!

Still waiting for those groupies ;-)

>Also, there are some weirdnesses with charsets. For sanity's sake, I
>recommend that *all* data in the ilinks table be UTF-8. On the wikis
>that remain in Latin-1 (hisss!), care should be taken to convert
>appropriately.

As I haven't touched the UTF-8/latin-1 functions at all, I'd appreciate
any help I can get there...

Also, we'll need a conversion function to read the existing language
links from the article texts, add them to the database, and remove them
from the text. Alternatively, we could leave them in the text and just
ignore them (as I do now on test), but that might get confusing...

Finally, someone should look into the table that holds the language
links. The fields should probably all be indices, I guess.

Magnus