Mailing List Archive

Spin-off software (was Re: "View user page" edit links on anon talk pages)
Erik Moeller wrote:

>We need to make the Wikipedia-code Wikipedia-independent. This isn't
>very hard, but some stuff needs to be fixed before Wikipedia can really
>be recommended as a general wiki, especially in the interlanguage links
>department (fortunately for us, most other wikis don't have
>multilanguage support at all).

Which reminds me of the "Sifter" project. I put some software together
for that project, stealing rendering source from the wikipedia software.
But, with TeX support and other things to follow, this will become
impossible to maintain.

So, when we talk of making the wikipedia software more general (and
faster, of course;-), is anyone opposed to throw in some *possible*
restrictions for, say, editing, uploading etc.? They'll be off by
default, so wikipedia won't change a bit, but we could use the same code
with a few changed variables for the Sifter.

Magnus
Re: Spin-off software (was Re: "View user page" edit links on anon talk pages) [ In reply to ]
> So, when we talk of making the wikipedia software more general (and
> faster, of course;-), is anyone opposed to throw in some *possible*
> restrictions for, say, editing, uploading etc.? They'll be off by
> default, so wikipedia won't change a bit, but we could use the same code
> with a few changed variables for the Sifter.

No objections - just a few more "if($wgSomeGlobalVar)"s I guess. But
perhaps you could post a more detailed proposal of what you want to change
and how.

Also, I still think that a well-integrated, generalized group
certification system makes more sense than a separate filter project.

Regards,

Erik
Re: Spin-off software (was Re: "View user page" edit links on anon talk pages) [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:

>No objections - just a few more "if($wgSomeGlobalVar)"s I guess. But
>perhaps you could post a more detailed proposal of what you want to change
>and how.

I didn't work the details myself yet - actually, I'm still fighting with
my latest Linux installation ;-)

>Also, I still think that a well-integrated, generalized group
>certification system makes more sense than a separate filter project.

We could do both in the same code, then set up both as different
projects, and wait what happens. Nobody expected what happened to
Nupedia and Wikipedia.

Magnus