the changes/additions, has anybody ever used them to replicate Wikipedia ?

cheers,
buraq
Re: wiki mirrors ? [ In reply to ]
On mer, 2003-01-22 at 02:35, buraq wrote:
> just read about Wikipedia and the Wiktionary this morning in
> www.heise.de for the first time and I'm impressed ! Good work.

Wilkommen aus Wikipedia!

> getting on-topic again, I could not find any information on setting up
> mirrors (the How to become a Wikipedia hacker page is a bit incomplete
> :) Is there any best-practice way to do it, which avoids transferring
> SQL Dumps of the whole database every day ?
>
> Do MySQL or PostgreSQL have +working+ replication, transmitting just
> the changes/additions, has anybody ever used them to replicate Wikipedia ?

MySQL replication _supposedly_ works... I'm considering setting it up on
our own server so that slow read-only operations (like the SQL dumps)
can be done on the local mirror without the main database locking and
grinding to a complete halt for forty minutes. I haven't yet looked into
the setup details in earnest though.

Allowing remote servers to sync that way should be possible. Can we
leave out certain tables? Eg, the user table, which contains sensitive
information -- password hashes and e-mail addresses -- that we'd rather
not have zipping about the net willy-nilly.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)