the page. Links from the top part of the main frame are unavailable,
including my own user preferences.

Eclecticology
Re: Page rendering [ In reply to ]
On sab, 2003-01-18 at 22:22, Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Something has gone strange with the way the Wikipedia pages are
> rendered. I keep a standard skin with a fixed right QuickBar (since
> floating right is not available). For some reason the software to-day
> began putting the QuickBar on the left, overlapping the main frame of
> the page. Links from the top part of the main frame are unavailable,
> including my own user preferences.

The code looks okay to me, and runs great in Mozilla/Phoenix 0.5, IE
6.0, and Konqueror 3.0.3.

What version of which browser are you using? That should help narrow it
down. (Please don't say Netscape 4.x... I fear it greatly! ;)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Page rendering [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

>On sab, 2003-01-18 at 22:22, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>>Something has gone strange with the way the Wikipedia pages are
>>rendered. I keep a standard skin with a fixed right QuickBar (since
>>floating right is not available). For some reason the software to-day
>>began putting the QuickBar on the left, overlapping the main frame of
>>the page. Links from the top part of the main frame are unavailable,
>>including my own user preferences.
>>

>The code looks okay to me, and runs great in Mozilla/Phoenix 0.5, IE
>6.0, and Konqueror 3.0.3.
>
>What version of which browser are you using? That should help narrow it
>down. (Please don't say Netscape 4.x... I fear it greatly! ;)
>
>-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

I'm using Netscape 6.2.2. I've found that I can access my preferences
page by going to the "differences" page for any article. The problem
seems to go away if I choose a left QuickBar in the preferences. Still
I like having the right QuickBar because it's my own peculiar way of
telling myself whether I'm in Wikipedia or Wiktionary at any particular
moment.

BTW, is it worthwhile to go to Netscape 7

Eclecticology
Re: Page rendering [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Brion Vibber wrote:
>
>> On sab, 2003-01-18 at 22:22, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>>
>>> Something has gone strange with the way the Wikipedia pages are
>>> rendered. I keep a standard skin with a fixed right QuickBar (since
>>> floating right is not available). For some reason the software
>>> to-day began putting the QuickBar on the left, overlapping the main
>>> frame of the page. Links from the top part of the main frame are
>>> unavailable, including my own user preferences.
>>>

>> The code looks okay to me, and runs great in Mozilla/Phoenix 0.5, IE
>> 6.0, and Konqueror 3.0.3.
>>
>> What version of which browser are you using? That should help narrow it
>> down. (Please don't say Netscape 4.x... I fear it greatly! ;)
>>
>> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
>>
> I'm using Netscape 6.2.2. I've found that I can access my preferences
> page by going to the "differences" page for any article. The problem
> seems to go away if I choose a left QuickBar in the preferences.
> Still I like having the right QuickBar because it's my own peculiar
> way of telling myself whether I'm in Wikipedia or Wiktionary at any
> particular moment.
>
> BTW, is it worthwhile to go to Netscape 7
>
> Eclecticology

I thought I had a temporary solution, but I guess not. It just looked
that way. In fact even with the left QuickBar, the logo does not
appear, and everything in the principal frame above the level of the
lowest QuickBar item is frozen.

I do not get this problem at all in Meta or in Wiktionary or in the
French Wikipedia. The problem may be with an "improvement" that was made
in Wikipedia that was not made in the others.
.
Eclecticology
Re: Page rendering [ In reply to ]
Eclecticology wrote:

>I thought I had a temporary solution, but I guess not. It just looked
>that way. In fact even with the left QuickBar, the logo does not
>appear, and everything in the principal frame above the level of the
>lowest QuickBar item is frozen.

Frozen?
I get frozen pages *all*the*time*.
(This is with Netscape 6 on Unix.)
Reloading the page almost always fixes that.
The floating sidebar (which I'd otherwise prefer)
tends to increase the frequency of frozen pages,
so I don't use (although it's fine otherwise).
I've never mentioned it before; now that I now how it works,
it's nothing but the annoyance of clicking the reload button.

-- Toby