--
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Insitute for Open Communication Systems
Project BerliOS - http://www.berlios.de
Re: Wikipedia in Google [ In reply to ]
On mar, 2003-01-07 at 05:25, Erik Moeller wrote:
> As of last weekend, all Wikipedia articles seem to have disappeared from
> the Google index. Wikipedia article URLs look like this:
>
> http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/<article-name>
>
> We are not aware of an outage that might have caused the Google spider
> to miss the pages. I would much appreciate it if you could shed some
> light on the issue.

Upon noticing that the main pages and mailing list archives _are_
indexed, I have my suspicions about our robots.txt file; the line:

Disallow: /w

perhaps should be:

Disallow: /w/

The former may be accidentally blocking /wiki/<arcticle-name> paths
-- which of course form the bulk of our content! -- in addition to the
scripted pages via direct access to the /w subdirectory that it's
intended to block.

I have updated the robots.txt file; if indeed this is how the googlebot
was interpreting the line, I hope we can be respidered soon...

-- brion vibber (brion@pobox.com / brion@wikipedia.org)
Re: Wikipedia in Google [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

>On mar, 2003-01-07 at 05:25, Erik Moeller wrote:
>Upon noticing that the main pages and mailing list archives _are_
>indexed, I have my suspicions about our robots.txt file; the line:
>
> Disallow: /w
>
>perhaps should be:
>
> Disallow: /w/
>
>The former may be accidentally blocking /wiki/<arcticle-name> paths
>-- which of course form the bulk of our content! -- in addition to the
>scripted pages via direct access to the /w subdirectory that it's
>intended to block.
>
>I have updated the robots.txt file; if indeed this is how the googlebot
>was interpreting the line, I hope we can be respidered soon...
>
>-- brion vibber (brion@pobox.com / brion@wikipedia.org)

Alas, I think you're reight. The robots exclusion standard suggests a
simple substring comparison be used in implementations, and all their
examples of directory exclusion use the slash.

-- Neil