hit) and more shocking is that < "Cartesian product"
Wikipedia> doesn't bring up the current .org article
either! See

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&q=%22Cartesian+product%22+Wikipedia

It is as if everything in www.wikipedia.org/wiki/ is
being totally ignored by Googlebot for some reason.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Re: Has Wikipedia dropped off Google? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 03:09:54PM -0800, Daniel Mayer wrote:
> Is it my imagination or has Wikipedia articles lost
> almost all Google page rank ratings? Check out and
> test pages listed on:
> http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_10_Google_hits
>
> Every one I tested was no longer in the top 10. For
> example, searching for <"Cartesian product"> doesn't
> seem to find our Wikipedia article (which was the #1
> hit) and more shocking is that < "Cartesian product"
> Wikipedia> doesn't bring up the current .org article
> either! See
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&q=%22Cartesian+product%22+Wikipedia
>
> It is as if everything in www.wikipedia.org/wiki/ is
> being totally ignored by Googlebot for some reason.

As far as I understand how google works,
www.wikipedia.com had high page rank and lot of links to it.
Now almost all of these links go to www.wikipedia.org, so:
* www.wikipedia.org has links but low page rank
* www.wikipedia.com has high page rank but few links

So neither will get good scores at google.

It will improve when google will refresh their cache.
Re: Has Wikipedia dropped off Google? [ In reply to ]
> As far as I understand how google works,
> www.wikipedia.com had high page rank and lot of links to it.
> Now almost all of these links go to www.wikipedia.org, so:
> * www.wikipedia.org has links but low page rank
> * www.wikipedia.com has high page rank but few links
>
> So neither will get good scores at google.
>
> It will improve when google will refresh their cache.

No, please look at
http://www.google.com/search?&q=+site:www.wikipedia.org+wikipedia
as mentioned on
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk%3ATop_10_Google_hits

It seems to be another problem.

BTW, while playing with google's news search I found
But I don't really understand what "In time, each publication could
become a mini-Wikipedia entry." means. I guess the licences are not
compatible.

Kurt