already started writing it and where can I find the code?

Cu,
Igor
Re: Apache module [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 11:57:24PM +0100, Igor Gilitschenski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the 19. Chaos communication Congress in Berlin
> (www.ccc.de/congress/2002/) I've heard, that wikipedia is considering
> rewriting the Code as an Apache Module. My question is, wether you have
> already started writing it and where can I find the code?

There was such idea, but it isn't really popular here.
No code yet, not sure if ever.
Re: Apache module [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 12:32:46AM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> There was such idea, but it isn't really popular here.
> No code yet, not sure if ever.

Why is it not popular?

Igor
--
"In meinen 100 Jahren dienstzeit hab ich schon
einiges erlebt."
Re: Apache module [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 12:38:39AM +0100, Igor Gilitschenski wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 12:32:46AM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>> There was such idea, but it isn't really popular here.
>> No code yet, not sure if ever.
>
>Why is it not popular?

It is news to me that it is not popular.

Code doesn't exist because it is currently in the design stage.

The permission scheme in particular, needs to be hammered out. I am
trying to make it flexible enough to allow many different security
policies, and to allow Wikipedias current security policy without any
noticeable overhead.

Maybe the following URL will help; also, recent discussion in the
archives of this mailing list have a lot of detail that hasn't yet been
incorporated in the design document. Please feel free to post with your
suggestions and ideas, to this list, and in the design document itself.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Clutch/mod_wiki

Brion, what did you think of the idea of not making language be a
directory component, but an integral part of the title?

http://foo.com/wiki/en:SaddleMaking

As opposed to

http://foo.com/wiki/en/SaddleMaking

Then we can just have a table of "prefixes", and map them to namespaces,
or external wiki's, or whatever.

Jonathan

--
Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone: 604-435-1205
Email: djw@reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC V5R2W2
Re: Apache module [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 03:50:56PM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 12:38:39AM +0100, Igor Gilitschenski wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 12:32:46AM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> >>There was such idea, but it isn't really popular here.
> >>No code yet, not sure if ever.
> >
> >Why is it not popular?
>
> It is news to me that it is not popular.

Well, you don't have any code yet, have quite radical ideas about desing,
and you didn't tell us whether it will be possible to mirror wikipedia
without having to use Apache.

But that will of course if we'll see nice and fast code.
Re: Apache module [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:10:28AM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

>> >Why is it not popular?
>>
>> It is news to me that it is not popular.
>
>Well, you don't have any code yet, have quite radical ideas about desing,
>and you didn't tell us whether it will be possible to mirror wikipedia
>without having to use Apache.

Instead of implying that the apache module was unpopular, it might have
been better to have just said it wasn't in existence yet.

Apache runs on every platform one is likely to want to run a Wikipedia
on; I don't see being bound to Apache as an issue. If you do have an
issue with that, I'd appreciate you spelling it out in detail so I can
address it.

As for "radical" ideas, I haven't put a single original idea in the
design. It is all traditional, orthodox Unix and standard engineering
practice. Maybe those things were radical 30 years ago. Today those
things are considered tried and true by most people.

Which items in particular did you consider "radical"?

Jonathan