Mailing List Archive

Re: Proposal: make summary mandatory
[to:wikien-l, to:wikitech-l]
Axel Boldt wrote:
> I would like to propose that we make filling out the summary field
> mandatory on ever edit. Reasons:
>
> * it makes the job of vandals and vandal bots harder, since they have
> to come up with a meaningful summary each time.
> * it makes the history page of an article vastly more useful; now I
> often find myself employing the bisection method to find out when a
> particular bit of information was inserted.

Filling in the summary field is in general a good thing to do, but
sometimes I find it stupid because the work it put in writing the notice
for the summary field is more work than the change of the article.

A pulldown menu whit some default comments seems a good way.

More options to follow close the actions of not registerd users would be
very nice. So that you can put a namelabel to a IP-adress, for those
IP-users who you can trust be have the bad idea to not login. You can
also use it to label proxyservers, so you see directly in RC that a
ip-adress is a proxyserver. Now you have to look every ip up, but it are
mostly the same who come back and give trouble.

> I posted this to wikien-l, since this feature would best be implemented
> as an option that other language wikis could switch on if desired.

I think all Wikipedia's would like more options to better view what is
happening.

Giskart
Re: Proposal: make summary mandatory [ In reply to ]
"Giskart" skribis:

> Axel Boldt wrote:
> > I would like to propose that we make filling out the summary field
> > mandatory on ever edit. Reasons:
> >
> > * it makes the job of vandals and vandal bots harder, since they have
> > to come up with a meaningful summary each time.
> > * it makes the history page of an article vastly more useful; now I
> > often find myself employing the bisection method to find out when a
> > particular bit of information was inserted.
>
> Filling in the summary field is in general a good thing to do, but
> sometimes I find it stupid because the work it put in writing the notice
> for the summary field is more work than the change of the article.
>
> A pulldown menu whit some default comments seems a good way.

I use the auto-completion of my browser for
this task ...

So please allow the default comments to be
configured by the user, if you inclue them.

Paul