component, it shouldn't interfere with other new toys like "hide the
bots" ;-)

Magnus
Re: Recent Changes hack [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 02:16, Magnus Manske wrote:
> I added a little hack to the Recent Changes page on test.wikipedia.org.
> Not the nice one we talked about, but it could be expanded to that.
> Please tell me what you think.

It's a nice start, thanks!

This makes the issue of entries for older revisions linking to the
current revision stand out more, though.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Recent Changes hack [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 11:16, Magnus Manske wrote:

> Note: I only had to patch Skin.php for that; it should show on all pages
> that use the Recent Changes function, though. As a pure display
> component, it shouldn't interfere with other new toys like "hide the
> bots" ;-)

The current version still lists the same diff/history link for every
change; it seems to make more sense to list these links just once, i.e.
at the top of a change, and also to remove the other redundancy below
the change:

* (diff | hist) A crappy page (5 changes)
** 07:26 by 209.162.23.113
** 07:22 by 209.162.23.113 - minor edit
** 07:20 by 209.162.23.113 (ook)
** 07:17 by 209.162.23.113 (oop)
** 07:15 by 209.162.23.113 - new page

Even better, of course, would be to show the correct diff links for the
individual changes.

The format certainly has its advantages, such as being a simple bulleted
list and thus generally rendered very fast, instead of a very large
table. From a usability perspective, I still think "diff" and "hist" are
pretty ugly.

Is this already checked in? It doesn't seem to be. Should we perhaps
create an experimental tag on CVS for stuff like that?

Regards,

Erik
--
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Insitute for Open Communication Systems
Project BerliOS - http://www.berlios.de
Re: Recent Changes hack [ In reply to ]
Got the "toggle" thingy running with just a few lines of JavaScript.
Please test on all browsers.

Oh, the file at test.wikipedia.org is the only copy, so maybe we should
store that somewhere ;-)

Magnus

Re: Recent Changes hack [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 03:00, Magnus Manske wrote:
> Got the "toggle" thingy running with just a few lines of JavaScript.
> Please test on all browsers.

Nice!

Great on Mozilla 1.0.1 (but the + is kind of a small mouse target)

Lists are expanded by default in JavaScript-less lynx; the +s show up as
selectable, though useless, links, which is potentially distracting.

Opera 6.1/Linux doesn't seem to work... the lists are hidden, and
clicking the + signs doesn't seem to do anything. :(

> Oh, the file at test.wikipedia.org is the only copy, so maybe we should
> store that somewhere ;-)

Just to make sure it doesn't get lost, I've made and attached a diff.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Recent Changes hack [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

>Great on Mozilla 1.0.1 (but the + is kind of a small mouse target)

Yes, I'll try to make an icon that changes to "-" soon.

>Lists are expanded by default in JavaScript-less lynx; the +s show up as
>selectable, though useless, links, which is potentially distracting.
>
>Opera 6.1/Linux doesn't seem to work... the lists are hidden, and
>clicking the + signs doesn't seem to do anything. :(

Opera doesn't work at all, because it can't change the layout of a
loaded page. I can get it to hide/show, but there's a blank space where
the writing would be in hidden mode. Weird.

IE works great as well. I guess we'll have to detect the browser and
enable the JavaScript thingy for Mozilla/Netscape/IE only, if we want to
make it default (which IMHO would be nice). Otherwise, a user setting
would do.

Magnus
Re: Recent Changes hack [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 17:00, Magnus Manske wrote:

> IE works great as well. I guess we'll have to detect the browser and
> enable the JavaScript thingy for Mozilla/Netscape/IE only, if we want to
> make it default (which IMHO would be nice).

We should only consider using it when the redundancy problems are
addressed. The current view suggests a dynamic history view (i.e. diff
would point to differences between two specific revisions, links would
point to selected revisions) but does not provide it, instead all
diff/title links for an expanded view point to the same location. So
either this functionality should be added or the view changed to remove
the redundant information; otherwise we have a serious usability
problem.

Regards,

Erik