Mailing List Archive

Suggestion re: DB patches
Brion has taken the time to write the very necessary bot patch, which is
great. I found this in CVS in the "maintenance" directory: bot.sql --
this is an SQL file that modifies the table structure accordingly.

I would like to recommend that when we alter database structure, we
create patches of the form

patch-01-bots.sql
patch-02-recentchanges.sql
..

in a subdirectory of maintenance/ called "db-patches", and a separate
file "patches.txt" describing the nature of the patch and the date when
it was written. This way we can keep better track of which patches need
to be applied after, say, CVS updating in a few weeks. This is the way
the Scoop project does it (they also order their patches by release tag,
but we don't have any releases), and it works rather well.

Regards,

Erik
--
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Insitute for Open Communication Systems
Project BerliOS - http://www.berlios.de