Mailing List Archive

Feature Request: Bot user accounts and/or disable 'hide minor edits' for non-logged-in users
Since I'm not sure that anybody is minding the shop at SourceForge and I'm
certain that developers don't read the wiki-based feature request page, I'm
going to make a feature request here:

As it is, when Rambot is running Recent Changes is nearly useless since human
generated edits are drowned-out by a flood of automatic edits. Worse yet, is
that all these edits are displayed by default. A person has to create a user
account in order to use the 'hide minor edit' feature. I'm worried that when
Rambot is running that potential contributors looking at Recent Changes will
get the wrong idea about our project (and maybe leave before getting that
user account).

To combat this, I would like to suggest the creation of a new type of user
account that would just be used for bots. To have such an account the bot
owner would have to prove that their bot generates good articles, is not
harmful to performance (as Ram-Man has) and promise that the account would
only be used by the bot and would not be used for anything underhanded (like
violating policy by sneaking in POV edits -- I'm sure there will still be
people, like me, to sample bot edits to make sure nothing is going awry).
Then all edits made by the bot under a registered bot account could be marked
with a "B" in Recent Changes and would be not be displayed by default. As it
is, the 'hide minor edits' feature is useless for anybody worried about
vandalism since non-logged-in users can (for some reason that totally escapes
me) mark edits as minor. At the very least I wish 'mark this edit as minor'
would be disabled for non-logged-in users (as it was in a previous version of
the software).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)
Re: Feature Request: Bot user accounts and/or disable 'hide minor edits' for non-logged-in users [ In reply to ]
> To combat this, I would like to suggest the creation of a new type of user
> account that would just be used for bots. To have such an account the bot
> owner would have to prove that their bot generates good articles, is not
> harmful to performance (as Ram-Man has) and promise that the account would
> only be used by the bot and would not be used for anything underhanded (like
> violating policy by sneaking in POV edits -- I'm sure there will still be
> people, like me, to sample bot edits to make sure nothing is going awry).
> Then all edits made by the bot under a registered bot account could be
> marked with a "B" in Recent Changes and would be not be displayed by
> default. As it is, the 'hide minor edits' feature is useless for anybody
> worried about vandalism since non-logged-in users can (for some reason that
> totally escapes me) mark edits as minor. At the very least I wish 'mark this
> edit as minor' would be disabled for non-logged-in users (as it was in a
> previous version of the software).

Daniel,

I support both suggestions (I already suggested filtering RC during
earlier runs of the Ram-Bot). I'd like to add that there should be a
preference both for sysops and non-sysops to view bot-edits.

I'll implement the second suggestion (no minor edit checkbox for users not
logged in) if there are no objections.

Regards,

Erik
Re: Feature Request: Bot user accounts and/or disable 'hide minor edits' for non-logged-in users [ In reply to ]
Please, Please implement this feature. For what it's worth, even though the
bot is running at a relatively slow pace (~2.4 articles/minute) and in blocks
instead of linearly, it *still* annoys people. This new feature besides fixing
the annoyance to everyone would also allow me to increase the speed at which I
can add articles. Instead of taking over a week to do each small task, it
could be done in a matter of hours. This is important because it allows me to
get work done. Right now I am adding coordinates and doing some cleanup work
on the articles (fixing some inaccurate information and such). Nevertheless I
have had people tell me a number of mistakes in articles and I am waiting until
the current bot run is over before I start another one to find all the articles
that have invalid information. Oh and I could run it in the bot in middle of
the night on full speed and then turn it off during the day, but alas I sleep
during that time.
Ram-Man

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Re: Feature Request: Bot user accounts and/or disable 'hide minor edits' for non-logged-in users [ In reply to ]