Mailing List Archive

TeX, version 9
Main changes:

= More TeX supported =

Number of passed PlanetMath equations raised from 3553 (56%) to 4432 (70%)
of 6302 total.

Portability of equations from PlanetMath is horrible - authors of articles
just love to create just a few commands more, to make markup look more cute.
Two such definitions: \reals (== \mathbb{R}) and \cnums (== \mathbb{C}) were
so popular that I simply had to add support for them to texvc.

This should be a warning for us - math markup on Wikipedia would be as
horrible as that if we allowed any TeX. (With texvc extensions you can
at least get real TeX from it).

There is also some stuff that I'm not sure if we really want to support,
most notably sub and sup scripting nothing. ($_x$ and $^y$)

Having said that, some of the failures are still texvc's fault.

= AMS Fonts =

If any of special AMS features are used, like \mathbb, AMS (amsmath, amsfonts and
amssymb) is loaded. I'm not sure if there is any point in loading it by default,
it would certainly slow down rendering.

Similar mechanism could be used to support many modules and keep performance
reasonable at the same time.