text in Dutch than a better one in English on the Dutch Wikipedia. Could this
change thus please be rolled back except for en and meta?

Andre Engels
Re: View article [ In reply to ]
On Mit, 2002-12-04 at 17:31, Andre Engels wrote:
> Recently, the messages to go from a discussion page to the corresponding
> page have been changed to get "view user page", "view meta page" etcetera.
> It's a nice change, but I now notice that the same has been done on the
> non-English Wikipedias too. And that's not nice. I'd rather have a reasonable
> text in Dutch than a better one in English on the Dutch Wikipedia. Could this
> change thus please be rolled back except for en and meta?

Hi,

I warned of this happening. But this would require us to start tracking
individual changes for the different Wikipedias, which would slow down
updates (which is especially bad as Brion seems to be the only one who
has both the permissions and the will to do updates).

I think it's better to annoy people into providing translations. We're
talking about 10 words or so. The problem is, people don't really know
where to go to do so -- meta, intwiki-l, wikitech-l .. we need a
prominent "Provide a missing translation" link on all Wikipedias.

If anyone sends new translations to the list, I'll be glad to apply them
(I can only commit to CVS, though, not update the live code).

Regards,

Erik
--
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Insitute for Open Communication Systems
Project BerliOS - http://www.berlios.de
Re: View article [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller <e.moeller@fokus.gmd.de> writes:

> I think it's better to annoy people into providing translations. We're
> talking about 10 words or so. The problem is, people don't really know
> where to go to do so -- meta, intwiki-l, wikitech-l .. we need a
> prominent "Provide a missing translation" link on all Wikipedias.
>
> If anyone sends new translations to the list, I'll be glad to apply them
> (I can only commit to CVS, though, not update the live code).

Perhaps the easiest way to achieve this is to post the
languagefiles which need to be updated on intlwiki or metawikipedia.
And it would be a lot easier, if the strings which need to be translated
were already _in_ the files.

greetings,
elian
--
"Wer mit 18 Jahren kein Kommunist ist, hat kein Herz.
Wer aber mit 28 Jahren immer noch Kommunist ist, der hat kein Hirn."