Mailing List Archive

Protection against vandalism (was: Last edit rollback)
I often protect a page, before I undo damage to it.

Before reading this thread, my motivation for protecting a damaged page was just to keep the vandal (or newbie experimenter) from mangling the page further. But now I realize that, serendipitously, it also would stop non-sysops from wasting their time duplicating my work.

After I've protected and fixed a number of damaged pages, I then decide whether to label the person responsible a "vandal" or not. If I decide they're a vandal, I block their IP. Then I unprotect all the pages.

Ed Poor